I’ve tested two external capture devices with the v1.5 OSSC (audio board installed) and thought I’d share my results. I am using HD Retrovision’s SNES & Genesis cables and OBS for broadcast and recording. These are the only consoles I’ve tested.
· The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket worked well in 3X mode for streaming and video capture. My settings are Generic 4:3, .77a firmware, HDMI TX, and everything else default. 4X and 5X did not work.
·The El Gato HD60 (not the Pro) would only work in 2X mode using the same settings as above for streaming and video capture. 3X, 4X and 5X all gave me an error saying the resolution was not supported
· ASUS VG248QE PC monitor – 2x, 3x, 4x worked
· Sony Bravia – 2x & 3x worked
· Samsung UN50JU6500 – 2x & 3x worked
The signal on the Genesis seems to cut out a little between screen transitions (there are no issues during gameplay, menus, or cut scenes just the transitions between them). It’s not a big issue as the displays I’ve tested are just black a little longer than normal. However, when this happens using the El Gato I briefly get a “No Signal” screen before recognizing the signal again. This is ok if you’re just capturing footage but it’s jarring when streaming. The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket behaves like my monitor/TV and does not show a “No Signal” message during recording or streaming.
I did not have the “No Signal” issue using the El Gato with the SNES but the drawback is it only supporting 2x mode.
Here are some footage examples (please excuse commentary and poor gameplay at times). Despite YouTube’s process and upstream limitations I think the footage still looks quite good. Also, the El Gato video will have a 720p 60fps option on YouTube but the signal was just upscaled from the 480p signal received in 2x mode at 60fps when broadcasting with OBS.
· SNES Footage with Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMu_fOEHXvo ·
· Genesis Footage with El Gato HD60 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4KqxbKj7s&t=1540s
I don’t have footage to provide of the PVR Rocket paired with the Genesis or the El Gato with the SNES but will in the future.
I hope this helps people visiting the forum and I will do my best to answer questions.