Reply To: Suggestions for LCD monitor instead of TV for OSSC? (4K vs 1080p, etc)

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Suggestions for LCD monitor instead of TV for OSSC? (4K vs 1080p, etc) Reply To: Suggestions for LCD monitor instead of TV for OSSC? (4K vs 1080p, etc)

Galdelico
Participant

That sounds very similar indeed. 🙂
Any reason why you didn’t mention Line2x? Compatibility issues with your monitor or you just don’t use it at all?

About image retention. First of all, it’s a temporary effect, and it goes away in a few minutes/hours, depending on the monitor: if you ever want to try that out, be sure you do it at the end of one of your play sessions, so you can turn your monitor off and leave it like that overnight.
What does it look like? Well, to cut it short, it’s basically the flickery graphics elements in a 480i game (the life bars and fighters’ names in SEGA Saturn’s Virtua Fighter 2, for example, as well as the in-game UI in Ridge Racer V on the PS2) getting temporarily stuck on screen.

Now, if you own Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn (I tested it with a Japanese copy of the game, on a Japanese Model 2 console), you can try this: just go through Arcade mode til the end – it takes me around 5 minutes, more or less – and then let the attract movies cycle until the one showing Shun Di’s exhibition. Then, you should be able to see the faint contour of the life bars and players’ names against the blue sky. Avoid Watch mode, as the constant 240p/480i swapping probably prevents the issue to manifest.
With PS2 Ridge Racer V, it’s even easier… You can literally play the game for a few minutes, and then backing up to the menus should reveal the same UI retention pretty clearly.

Thanks! ^_-