Reply To: Colour and interference issues with with new 3.2 revision (compared to 3.1)

NewHome Forums RetroTink Products Colour and interference issues with with new 3.2 revision (compared to 3.1) Reply To: Colour and interference issues with with new 3.2 revision (compared to 3.1)

xythen
Participant

Hey, I think you were absolutely right! I dug out my old PAL SNES (which is hardmodded for 60Hz output), and the colours looked fine with that model. I’m impressed the PAL60 setting handled it fine as well, since the signal is probably quite far out of spec. I had no idea that the composite cables were different for PAL and NTSC NES/SNES and Famicom/SFC. When it looked fine with the first retrotink version I didn’t think to question it. Do you know what the actual specs are? The only thing I could find was an Ebay listing for a modded cable that added a resistor to the NTSC cables, which I guess must be inside the NTSC models.

I still have the issue of interference and image noise, but after doing some more comparisons between the two last night I noticed that the interference is still there on the older version just not as prominent, and the noise is more smoothed out. So I guess it’s just the tweaks to the processing in the new firmware, erring on the side of less filtering. Thankfully, when I hook the retrotink to a HDMI -> component box, then into an OSSC, the filtering of the OSSC takes care of 90% of it, so the two are indistinguishable.

Glad I don’t have a defective unit, and it was just my fault for not checking I had the right spec cable!