Reply To: Kaico OSSC & BenQ EX2780Q IPS 144Hz 27″ monitor

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Kaico OSSC & BenQ EX2780Q IPS 144Hz 27″ monitor Reply To: Kaico OSSC & BenQ EX2780Q IPS 144Hz 27″ monitor

GlueyPorchBoy
Participant

Oh nice, I was a huge Commodore geek in high school in the 90s – had a whole pile of CMD add-ons and even got the damn thing on the internet through local library’s dial-up service, which gave me a chance to experience the tail-end of the NTSC demoscene (such as it was) firsthand. Took the whole mess apart when I started college, and never found the space to put it back together… still sad about that. But I kept my 1702 out and used it as my main TV/gaming monitor until 2010 or so, so it’s what my PS2s saw the most.

Anyway, the NTSC and PAL standards were based entirely around broadcast television, so they don’t apply to anything that came along after. Newer screens should treat them as 480i or 576i and adjust accordingly, provided they can handle the resolutions and the deinterlacing. All of the OSSC’s output modes (just like all modern equipment) are progressive, with the exception of pass-through (if the source is interlaced) and 3xlaced. The interlacing was a method for old broadcast TVs to get the most resolution within the limitations of terrestrial broadcast bandwidth. Most systems prior to the sixth console generation (PS2, Dreamcast, XBox, Gamecube) were 240p – they were able to use a progressive signal because they were only using half the available resolution. The PS2 era was the first to fully use SD resolution (ironically, the last to use it at all) and that meant putting out an interlaced signal. For most of the generational lifespan, anyway – towards the end, which it was obvious that digital was coming to stay, TVs started to come along that could handle progressive scan, and there are surprising number of PS2 games that can be switched to progressive output, often through holding down Triangle and X during startup. (The list everyone shares is here, but I don’t believe that’s all there was.) The OSSC will switch from 480i to 480p when it detects the change in signal if you have “Autodetect Input” set to “current” or “all,” and you can speed up the process by telling it to search as soon as you’ve made the game switch by pressing “1” on your remote. This is helpful because a lot of these games give you a set amount of time to approve the switch to progressive mode before switching back automatically, just in case your display can’t handle it.

You’ll want to be in progressive mode as often as you can, because the two options for de-interlacing that you have are to let the TV handle it through passthrough mode (which can add lag) or on the OSSC through the 2x and 4xbob modes. The bob de-interlacing is what creates the flicker/vibrating image effect, and how much that’s visible can depend on your equipment and how you have everything set up. The “Sl. alternating” scanline mode I mentioned earlier exists to compensate for this effect. The other thing is that the bob deinterlacing can cause burn-in on some displays, so be careful with games that show lots of static text (like, y’know…. most RPGs. I always turn my monitor off if I’m stepping away to use the bathroom or whatever, just to be on the safe side.