Reply To: Getting CRT-like brightness from original Xbox to LCD monitor

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Getting CRT-like brightness from original Xbox to LCD monitor Reply To: Getting CRT-like brightness from original Xbox to LCD monitor

TrantaLocked
Participant

I was looking at a video comparison of the Xbox vs PS2 vs Gamecube vs PS1 versions of THPS4 and found a perfect spot in the video at 9:38 that showed a cloud in the background in San Francisco. This cloud, as well as some clouds in Alcatraz, have spots that appear to be intended to render at max brightness, which makes it easy to calibrate. In the video you can clearly see a difference in the cloud brightness and structure between Xbox and PS2, showing what appears to be the PS2 and Gamecube versions clipping the upper end of the range, hiding some of the cloud details that are seen better on the Xbox version.

I need to set the OSSC to a pre-ADC gain of 9 or 10 to match what I see in the video for the Xbox version. But for the PS2 version, I need to set pre-ADC gain to at least 11. Unless the game was captured non-ideally, this shows that #1 it’s possible a pre-ADC gain of 8 may be too low depending on your setup, and that to match what appears to be a slightly clipped PS2 version you need to set it even higher than 10. The Xbox version also appears darker than the PS2 version in other videos I’ve seen so this isn’t a fluke when it comes to the PS2 version being brighter

Is this total proof the PS2 version is clipped and thus brighter? Almost, but it needs substantiation. If someone could post a picture of that cloud running off their PS2 on a CRT that would awesome to see for sure what PS2 users see.

A pre-ADC value of 11+ is not necessary for other games. Ninja Gaiden for example looks more natural at 8 or 9 pre-ADC gain as the game is fine-tuned for the Xbox. I think 8 is too low with 9 maybe a tad too high, but I’d still choose 9 over 8 if I’m not touching the fine values. A fine G/Y gain value of 40 with pre-ADC at 8 should be a bit more precise.