Possible Fix for Sony Bravia 4K TVs SNES (NTSC) flickering

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Possible Fix for Sony Bravia 4K TVs SNES (NTSC) flickering

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vangar
    Participant

Hi there,

I just wanted to make a topic about this, because google searches led to two topics that link to each other with not much solution other than ‘get the dejitter board’, which one person mentions the flickering to continue without tweaks with the board anyway.

Stock, the snes was losing sync and cutting out every 3 seconds or so. The OSSC was showing stable, but the TV was cutting out. I had a night of tinkering, and I’ve been able to keep my 2-chip stable on the screen with no flickering, in HDMI mode. I do not fully understand sync settings, and sometimes the image can appear a little fuzzy (Testing with Kirby’s dreamland 3, some rooms must use different scanline widths or something funky, because you can enter a room and it will appear a little blurry, and the next room will be extremely clear?). Depending on the game, you can move the ‘Analog sync Vth’ down or up a few mV to clear up the signal.

Here are my settings:

Video Proc:
    – Video LPF: 9MHz (SDTV)
    – YpbPr in ColSpa: Auto
    – ALC V Filter: 1 Lines
    – ALC H Filter: 2 Pixels

Sampling Opt -> Go to Adv. Timing , select 256×240:
    – H. samplerate: 341
    – H. s.rate frac: .25
    – H. synclen: 25
    – H. backporch: 38
    – H. active: 256
    – V. synclen: 4
    – V. backporch: 11
    – V. active: 237
    – Sampling Phase: 202deg

Sync Opt:
    – Analog Sync LPF: 2.5Mhz (Max)
    – Analog STC LPF: 0.5Mhz (SDTV)
    – Analog Sync Vth: 135 mV (Toggle this down and up a few steps depending on the game, for example, a Link to the Past looks fantastic at 180mV)
    – Hsync tolerance: 0.76 us
    – Vsync threshold: 5.36 us
    – H-PLL Pre-Coast 0 Lines
    – H-PLL Post-Coast: 0 Lines

Output Opt:
    – 240p/288p proc: Line5x
    – Line 5x mode: 256×240 optim.
    – Line 5x format: 1920×1080
    – 256×240 aspect: (Choose to your liking)
    – TX Mode: HDMI (RGB) (Set this to DVI for much faster tinkering!)
    – HDMI ITC: On

Post Proc:
    – Reverse LPF: 3 (You may not need this, I had a bit of a blur that setting to 3 mostly corrects)

Compatibility:
    – Panasonic Hack: On

If this does not work for you – I’d like to advise you to mess with your ‘Sampling Opt -> Go to Adv. Timing’ settings. It seems that the whole issue is juggling those settings into a range where the Sony TV can hold the picture. And that you won’t need the de-jitter mod, something I was hoping to avoid.

The whole reason I spent time on this, is because the signal was stable on my regular computer monitor. If you can get that, there’s no reason the Sony TV shouldn’t be able to display the 1080p signal also … I hope this helps others who have these TVs.

EDIT: My exact model TV – A80J BRAVIA XR

Pictures with $5 garbage SCART cable from aliexpress:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by vangar.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by vangar.
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Thank you, I’m surprised sync opt makes a difference if source is not losing sync with the OSSC in the first place. Note that Line 5x mode: 256×240 optim. will not be correct for all SNES games.

Have you had time to play for an extended period with these settings?

vangar
    Participant

Yes, it does not lose sync. I played for over 2 hours and left it on too just to see what would happen. Seems like the only time it loses sync is after you reset it, it will flash for a sec afterwards once. Hopefully I’ve helped out solving what the heck is going on with the Bravia models

cleitonspindola
    Participant

Hello Vangar

Thanks for your setup, i try to use in OLED C1 and now i can use 5x without flickering and lose sync.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.