Reply To: Advice for splitting component to both OSSC and Framemeister

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Advice for splitting component to both OSSC and Framemeister Reply To: Advice for splitting component to both OSSC and Framemeister

nmalinoski
Participant

I might consider using the 480i passthrough, but (and please correct me if I’m wrong here) I don’t think HDMI can carry native 480i, and if it did, I can’t find any info on whether LG’s OLEDs will deinterlace it properly.

HDMI can carry pretty much anything; the real question is whether your display will accept it. Some TVs do, some don’t. Unfortunately, if this LG FAQ page is representative of LG’s TVs, they do not allow 480i over HDMI.

So I’m wondering if it’s possible to create a setup where a component signal is split: one going to the OSSC for 480p games, and one going to a Framemeister for 480i games.

It is absolutely possible to do that, but, considering the equipment you’re looking at, it’s really only beneficial to split the signal if you’re using multiple displays (which you’re not) or if you absolutely need the no-lag processing of the OSSC over the 1-frame processing lag of the Framemeister.

If you can deal with the Framemeister’s processing lag, I think the most economical approach would be to use solely the Framemeister. You’ll just need a passive component->D-Terminal adapter.

If you can’t deal with the Framemeister’s 480p processing (Which I understand is not the best, but not as terrible as people have made it out to be), you could chain the OSSC into the Framemeister’s HDMI input, which should let you do line2x on 480p to 960p, passthrough on 480i, 720p, and 1080i on the OSSC, then have the Framemeister do deinterlacing and scaling to 1080p.

Another alternative would be to chain an OSSC into an Extron DSC 301 HD (This is what I currently do). It will take line3x 480i (not sure if the Framemeister will) and will be far cheaper than a Framemeister, although the deinterlacing supposedly won’t be as good as the Framemeister’s (looks fine to me, but those with far more experience in video processing, like Fudoh, say it’s not good).