Reply To: Xbox component to HDMI and black crush issues

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Xbox component to HDMI and black crush issues Reply To: Xbox component to HDMI and black crush issues

TrantaLocked
Participant

Alright, but while TVs should accept YCbCr 444 over component cables, can they accept it over HDMI like say from the OSSC? This is a Sharp HDTV from 2014…there’s no option in the settings to enable 444 or change black levels.

I read a bit here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling and it said for TCL TVs, if the source isn’t detected properly then you can rename the input label to Computer. On my Sharp, I indeed can rename the input label to lots of different names, with one being PC. There is no section there for Sharp TVs so I don’t know. But that could be the whole reason that the Portta adapter was showing crushed blacks, that it’s just sending the signal as YCbCr 444 and my TV can’t recognize it.

I probably just don’t understand YCbCr yet. Now I’m thinking, are 444, 422, and 420 ALL in 16-235 across all channels, and the b and r components in 422 for example are simply compressed then doubled but still expressed over a 16-235 range? Because if that’s the case then the TV would ALWAYS interpret 16-235 across all channels no matter what the chroma subsampling is. And at worst, the TV converts 444 to 420, but because the same RGB range is used that couldn’t possibly result in any crushing or even saturation. It just results in less detailed color steps, not a difference in color balance or maximum range. Am I right here? So now it seems it’s just the converter getting the wrong EDID from the TV and thinking the TV needs RGB? Then setting the OSSC to YCbCr 444 should solve that problem, whether or not the TV supports full 444 the colors should still look relatively correct if converted to 422 or 420.

BOYS. IT’S TIME. I hooked up my PC via HDMI to my TV and BOOM. Nvidia control panel, switch between RGB full/limited, YCbCr 444 and 422. Both YCbCrs look correct in saturation and black levels relative to RGB limited, and RGB full looks crushed/saturated. I can see a difference between 444 and 422! 422 has a bit of color noise around the edges of font, but 444 looks great! So my TV can handle the 444 over HDMI automatically. SICK BRO.