[SOLVED] How to burn a 240p test suite PS1 ?

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support [SOLVED] How to burn a 240p test suite PS1 ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BlueStinger
    Participant

Hello !
      How to burn a 240p test suite for PS1 ? I’ve found the Github page, I’ve seen here and there that I need the .cue and .bin files in the binary folder and I found them too. What do I need to do ? Burn those two files (.cue and .bin) on a CD-R (at the lowest speed possible I guess) ? And that’s it ?!

Sorry, it’s probably a noob question but the last time I burnt a CD we were still in the 90’s

(and yes, my console has a modchip, bought a random PS1 last week and discovered that there was a modchip in it while cleaning the machine. Even the previous owner didn’t know about that)

Thank in advance !

nmalinoski
      Participant

Yup. Use something like ImgBurn to write the bin/cue to a blank CD, and use whichever speed is recommended for the media.

BlueStinger
        Participant

Thank you. Do I need both the cue and the bin, or any of those two ? I’ll download ImgBurn right away
          EDIT : oh… The .cue isn’t what I expected it to be. When I open it I get this :

4 lines (3 sloc) 77 Bytes
          FILE “240pTestSuitePS1.bin” BINARY
          TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
          INDEX 01 00:00:00

I understand its purpose (giving instruction to the PS1 to read the .bin I guess) but what am I supposed to do with that ? Do I need to create a text file with a .cue extension and copy paste those 3 lines ? Or something like that ?

Sorry for those stupid questions but I can’t find any tutorials.

nmalinoski
          Participant

You need both. The cue file describes how the BIN is to be written to the CD. Select the cue file in your burning software and it should automatically pull the bin in.

BlueStinger
            Participant

You’re a star ! It works ^-^

For people who are wondering :
              1: Go here https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSuite-PS1 and click on the “Binary” folder
              2: Download the “240pTestSuitePS1.bin” file (around 800Ko)
              3: Download ImgBurn
              4: Create an image to your CD-R using ImgBurn by using the .bin file
              5: Verify that the track is the same as you can see in the .cue file (you don’t need to download it), it should be good as it is.
              6: Burn the disc

It sounds even more complicated than it is, basically, burn the .bin file on the CD-R and that’s it.

Again, Thank you nmalinoski !

nmalinoski
              Participant

Generally, you want both the .bin and .cue. Like I said, the .cue describes how the .bin should be written to the disc. If it needed to be written in a different mode, or you’re burning a disc with multiple tracks and/or a mixed-mode disc, you absolutely need the cuesheet.

vol.2
                Participant

I’m having a hell of a time getting the 240p test suite going on my ps2. I tried burning it with a bunch of different programs, but I think it isn’t working because I’m using a CD-RW, and I’ve been readin you need to use a CD-R. So I thought, maybe I can just load it directly on my HDD from a USB, but I can’t figure out what format to do that in. I have McLoader and uLaunchELF and SMS, and HDLoader. So I’m thinking one of those programs can probably run something I can create with the files from Github, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Any ideas as to just getting it on my HDD?

nmalinoski
                  Participant

If you’re just trying to launch it from something like HDL or OPL, hook the hard disk up to your PC and use WinHIIP to add it.

vol.2
                    Participant

Thanks nmalinoski, that’s good info. This is basically exactly what I was trying to figure out. Unfortunately, someone over on the PS2 reddit has informed me that the 240p test suite will not work properly on a PS2. Apparently, the video is a mess and it’s unusable, so it’s back to the drawing board. I’ll have to get my real PS1 out of storage and figure out how to burn it. I’ve been told that I have to use specfic CD-Rs that work with PS.

nmalinoski
                      Participant

In my experience, most any CD-Rs work with the PS1; you just need to get the swap trick down, or install a mod chip, and make sure that your CD assembly is in good condition.

vol.2
                        Participant

Thanks, I already have my PS2 soft modded. I did the swap thing years ago and I’m still using the memory cart that has mcloader and stuff on it. Everytime I try to burn a CD-R, my PS2 says it’s a bad disc. It doesn’t have a problem with the James Bond swap disc I burned like 7 years ago, that CD-R still seems to be working as a game. Either I’m screwing up the burn process, I’m using bad CD-Rs, or I’m missing something really simple that’s entirely escaping me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.