Hybrid nearest-neighbor/bilinear upscaling

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Feature Requests Hybrid nearest-neighbor/bilinear upscaling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zacabeb
    Participant

Since I haven’t yet gotten the chance to play around with the OSSC Pro I’m not sure how its Lanczos scaling looks, but there’s one thing I’d love to see that I think is absent; a hybrid between nearest neighbor and bilinear upscaling to get as sharp pixels boundaries as possible while still extending the image to fill the entire active picture.

The principle is to apply nearest neighbor scaling to the highest multiple that fits within the active area and use bilinear scaling on top of that to scale it the rest of the way. This also allows arbitrary pixel aspect ratio correction to be combined with optimized sampling modes while retaining pixel sharpness.

SGGG2
      Participant

+1

I’m surprised sharp bilinear wasn’t included, it’s very popular, as well as being the most well rounded scaling option available currently.

ケイ | Cae
        Participant

+1

Since the custom scaling algorithm setting allows MiSTer format scaling filters to be used, it is possible to copy scaling filters from “Upscaling – SharpBilinear” in the MiSTer’s pre-set filters, but these only define the ratio of nearest neighbor to bilinear (SharpBilinear_000.txt being pure bilinear), not the exact scaling factor for the nearest neighbor interpolation. It would be nice to have a bilinear sharp setting that works like Zacabeb described, if for nothing else than to know that it’s the correct scaling factor for the nearest neighbor phase, which is hard to guarantee with any of the MiSTer filters.

It’s worth noting also that while GS Sharp looks like sharp bilinear interpolation, it has still given me noticeable scrolling shimmer with the SNES 512×240 preset and Kirby’s Dream Land 3, so I’m not 100% willing to trust it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by ケイ | Cae.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.