Left audio channel is slightly quieter using the 3.5mm jack (Av2 IN)

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Left audio channel is slightly quieter using the 3.5mm jack (Av2 IN)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LaminGaming
    Participant

Recently, I’ve noticed that the left audio channel through the 3.5mm jack (Av2 IN) on my OSSC has become slightly quieter than the right channel. I know it’s got something to do with the jack specifically as it is fine through the SCART input, so I’m not sure what’s going on with it. I did try swapping the two jack ports around with a bit of soldering, thinking that might fix it, but I got exactly the same results. So it must be something else… I even tried different cables with no luck. I do seem to recall having the issue before and it somehow fixed itself, though, I could be misremembering. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LaminGaming
      Participant

I still can’t work out what the issue is, so I decided to get some sound recordings directly from the OSSC to share what I’m talking about:

• NORMAL.wav – Is using stock settings.

• CHANNELS SWAPPED.wav – Has only “Swap left/right” turned on.

• MONO MODE.wav – Has only “Mono mode” turned on.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RH31R0fcuK88GHWqHAbth2o4oX4zhUQO?usp=sharing

I’m thinking maybe it’s an issue with something on the OSSC’s board, a faulty resistor or cap perhaps?

Edit: I used my audio probe and found that R49 and C125 (left channel) are quieter than R51 and C123 (right channel), so maybe R49 or C125 is the culprit… I also found that switching the jack switch to Av1 OUT had no issues

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by LaminGaming.
        LaminGaming
        Participant

I’ve replaced R49 and C125, but nothing changed. The only other thing it could be is possibly the sound chip (PCM1862).

LaminGaming
          Participant

@marqs: Sorry to ping you, but would you happen to know what’s going on with my OSSC?

marqs
            Participant

Sounds like PCM1862 might have been indeed damaged. Is the board v1.6 or earlier which have less protection circuitry on the analog inputs?

LaminGaming
              Participant

Yes, it’s a v1.6 board. Thank you for letting me know that it’s most likely the PCM1862, I guess I’ll have to try replacing it with a new one at some point. However, I did have the thought of maybe trying to somehow bypass the audio input for the AV2 and use the AV3 audio input instead, as I never use VGA with anything. Though, I wasn’t sure if that was possible. Replacing the PCM1862 is probably easier.

As for why the sound issue happened in the first place, I think it’s because of the faulty Mega Drive 1 I was testing that had a missing right FM channel from the YM2612 chip. So maybe that somehow affected the OSSC.

LaminGaming
                Participant

Also, do you have any recommendations on where to get a replacement of the PCM1862? I also live in the UK if that helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.