OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 263 total)
  • Author
    marqs
    Participant

I’ve been recently working on a cleanup of the OSSC firmware. The primary target is to get rid of the hacks needed to work around various issues of the video frontend chip. A minor hardware modification is prerequisite for this as it enables mostly bypassing sync processing of the chip. A second goal is to port some infrastructure from OSSC Pro project which enables implementing many existing features in a more robust way and adding some others.

The new firmware series will start from v1.xx and only works on boards which have had the modification applied (see below). The end result may not be that different for those who have been using “easy” sources, but many of the issues related to sync/mode detection with more exotic consoles, home computers or arcade boards should be now fixed / fixable. I have an early version of the firmware available here for those who have USB Blaster and SD card image of latest version (see link at the end).

The HW modification simply requires removing SMD resistor R35 and adding a wire between TVP7002 pin 25 (last on the side) and FPGA-end pad of the removed resistor. Red LED won’t work after the modification. but equivalent indicator is now encoded into the green LED. Future board revisions will have the modification built-in and also restore functionality of red LED.

U1 pin connection Image1
    R35 pin connection Image2

Below is a list of the options added/removed from the beta firmware. (-) means the feature is removed but only temporarily.

– Sampling -> Allow TVP HPLL2x
    – Compatibility -> AV3 interlacefix
    – Compatibility -> Panasonic hack
    + Settings -> Phase hotkey
    + Custom scanlines -> H interval
    + Custom scanlines -> V interval
    – Scanlines -> Sl. alt interval
    + Audio options -> Mono mode
    + Output options -> HDMI HDR flag
    + Post-proc -> Shadow mask
    (-) Post-proc -> DIY lat. test

Any testing help is appreciated to push this towards a proper release. Feedback on what works better or worse than before should be posted in this thread.

UPDATE: SD card image for version 1.08 is now available here.

FAQ:
    Q: Which board revisions can be upgraded with the mod?
    A: Versions v1.7 and earlier, including early boards with DVI connector

Q: Should the firmware be installed before or after the mod, and is it possible use v0.xx series on a modified board?
    A: The order of update/mod does not matter. It is possible to downgrade and use v0.xx firmware on a modified board

Q: Should the TVP7002 pin be lifted?
    A: It’s not necessary to lift the pin

Q: Are v0.xx profiles preserved after firmware upgrade?
    A: No. At the moment the online tool also supports only v0.xx series

Q: Is it possible to upgrade unofficial OSSC boards?
    A: Possibly, but at your own risk. A recommendation is to check if U10 flash chip on PCB bottom side is S25FL116K0XMFI041 or IS25LP016D-JBLE. If not, there is reasonable chance that upgrade bricks the board after which it needs to be flashed with JTAG programmer (potentially requiring a firmware modified by the manufacturer).

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by marqs.
    • This topic was modified 9 months ago by marqs.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by marqs.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by marqs.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by marqs.
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Thanks Marqs, I’ll be getting a couple of OSSCs modded for this firmware shortly and will be enthusiastically testing my retro computers and (less enthusiastically) my PAL Jaguar 🙂

cyberluke
    Participant

Thank you, I will try it next month with retro PC computers.

uchristo
    Participant

Marqs, you‘re way too fast for me 🙂
    My USB Blaster is still in transit from CN to DE…. Hardwaremod seems to be very doable.

cyberluke
    Participant

What exactly is USB Blaster? I have Bus Blaster v3, is that okay? http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/index.php?title=Bus_Blaster_v3_design_overview&oldid=18611 …and then I have several UARTSBee from Seeed Studio (v4 and v5: https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/UartSBee_v5/ )

Where is more instructions for developers how to upload a new firmware or create SD build from your firmware ourselves? Thanks.

uchristo
    Participant

+1
    I’d also like to know which is the easyest way to bring the jic-File on the Cyclone5
    I’d rather not install the whole ModelSim/Quartus IDE package but only the “Quartus II Programmer”
    Quartus Programmer 13.0.1 build 232

will this be sufficient? Or do we need the newer version
    Version 22.1 Standard

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by uchristo.
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

It’s a cyclone 4 in the OSSC Classic. Just the programmer software should be fine.

There are instructions on how to JTAG update on the wiki here – https://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Updating_OSSC_via_JTAG

marqs
    Participant

@cyberluke: USB Blaster is a propiertary JTAG programmer / protocol so I doubt Bus Blaster would work as direct replacement. It should be possible to program Cyclone FPGAs using standard SVF format files and non-propiertary programmers and tools, but most likely that would require more time setting up than what’s worth it. SD image will be released when there is more confidence that it doesn’t soft-brick boards (recoverable by USB Blaster).

cyberluke
    Participant

Ok, so testing for PC is a no-go for me until there is an SD card.

uchristo
    Participant

USB Blaster has arrived today….. I’ll be able to solder the modification this evening, hopefully. Stay tuned.

uchristo
    Participant

Bridge soldered, Firmware installed. It works, somehow. Is this one compiled without audio?

My former working profiles didn‘t work anymore on my 55“ Samsung Nu8009. Will do more resting on sunday/monday

uchristo
    Participant

Testing, not resting 🙂

uchristo
    Participant

Does ossc feature some kind of serial log? It‘d maybe better than thousand words of whats going on there?

Edit: any Details on This?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by uchristo.
    marqs
    Participant

The firmware has audio, but there was initially a related issue which was fixed shortly after. I keep updating the same .jic file as issues are found and fixed, just redownload and try programming again.

Regarding serial log, I compiled a debug version which prints information via JTAG-UART. Use ‘nios2-terminal’ to open up a console after programming the .jic file.

uchristo
    Participant

It’s working…. I’ll hook up my problematic source this evening

nios2-terminal: Warning: The JTAG cable you are using is not supported for Nios
    nios2-terminal: II systems. You may experience intermittent JTAG communication
    nios2-terminal: failures with this cable. Please use a USB Blaster revision B
    nios2-terminal: cable or another supported cable. Please refer to the file
    nios2-terminal: errata.txt included in the Nios II development kit documents
    nios2-terminal: directory for more information.

nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate)

Sync LPF value set to 0x0
    PCM1862 found
    RC data read (54 bytes)
    SetInputMode(00,00)
    Input mode is RGB24
    Output mode is RGB24
    SetupAFE()
    Reg[61] = 00
    Reg[62] = 18
    Reg[63] = 10
    Reg[64] = 0C
    Reg[65] = F0
    Reg[66] = 00
    Reg[67] = 3F
    HDMITX_SetAVIInfoFrame: VIC=2, ColorMode=0, Aspect-Ratio=4:3, ITU709=No, ITC=No, pixelrep=0
    SetAVIInfo():
    CTS: 27000
    ### DIY VIDEO DIGITIZER / SCANCONVERTER INIT OK ###

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 263 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.