OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    MiCv2
    Participant

Thank you @marqs for the valuable information 👍

MiCv2
      Participant

Today I tried a few things, the 75ohm resistor and the developer firmware with the extra functions. Nothing helped me. I changed the cable back to the original. I found a cheap scart to HDMI converter in the basement and the picture was immediately razor sharp with smooth scrolling. I have no idea what kind of chip is in it, but it works immediately. What can I say, sometimes the solution is in the basement 🤔

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by MiCv2.
        • This reply was modified 2 months ago by MiCv2.
        BuckoA51
        Keymaster

It would be worth reaching out to James from RetroHQ regards the 7800GD, he did promise to look into why it didn’t work with the OSSC back in 2023 when RetroRGB reported issues, so maybe he figured something out?

MiCv2
          Participant

The question is also why a cheap converter can do it with a cheap MD2 RGB cable?

MiCv2
            Participant

I opened the converter..

marqs
              Participant

Maybe the converter does not base output on line-lock or uses more robust video ADC. To help others with possibly the same issue, could you post here GD revision, type of MD2 cable and the components present on sync line? You also said symptom is no picture while the photo indicates OSSC is able to lock to the mode (green LED presumably stays lit). That’s a sign of display not tolerating jittery clock which could possibly be mitigated by the settings in dev fw mentioned in previous post.

BuckoA51
                Keymaster

That converter is frame buffer based too, RetroRGB clocked it at a shocking 4 to 5 frames of input lag. You can’t really compare that to something like an OSSC, completely different design not at all based around video games.

MiCv2
                  Participant

Hello, I’m currently on the road. The GD7800 is up to date, I bought it three weeks ago. It has the latest firmware. I already had the MD2 RGB Scart cable in my collection. I bought it on Amazon and it actually works well on CRT or LCD TVs. I’ll take pictures of the Scart plug (inside) later.

MiCv2
                    Participant

I don’t notice any input lag. I read somewhere that it uses the same chip as RetroTINK. The image output is excellent. I’m surprised myself.

BuckoA51
                      Keymaster

The image is okay until it starts to move then you will notice most likely combing artefacts as it tries to deinterlace and already progressive image. There is certainly plenty of input lag.

upscalercompare

Also reviewed here http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ – (HD Video Converter Scart / HDMI)

but yes it’s a completely different design to OSSC and not really recommended for playing games.

MiCv2
                        Participant

Thanks for the links. I understand what you mean, but my small LCD with HDMI input will be even worse. OSSC is a reference, and certainly much better suited for fast games. I agree with you 👍

MiCv2
                          Participant

And here are the pictures of the RGB cable..

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by MiCv2.
                            Konsolkongen
                            Participant

Hi 🙂

On firmware 1.10 I am not able to import profiles.

I have tried to update my old profiles and even creating new ones from scratch on the website where the only thing I changed was the name of the profiles.

I flash the profile.bin using Balena Etcher on Mac, to a 2GB card.

The OSSC will say that profiles are loaded, but then hangs for a bit. Apparently nothing is loaded, and no profiles are named.

I have tried a different card, and formatting and all that 🙂

marqs
                              Participant

@MiCv2 OK, the cable seems like a standard “sync from composite” cable without resistor on the line. Based on your comment the GD7800 board revision is fairly recent so the cable should be fine as-is. The display then just cannot handle the jitter present on the video clock.

@Konsolkongen
                                Are you able to share the file as I couldn’t reproduce the issue aside from the temporal hang (which is fixed now)

Konsolkongen
                                Participant
                                Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 317 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.