OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC v1.xx series beta firmware

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 318 total)
  • Author
    marqs
    Participant

Version 1.05 of the firmware has been added with the following new features

* Line6x mode for 240p/288p
      * HDMI HDR flag

The latter just enables HDR Infoframe which switches TVs supporting HLG into HDR mode. It doesn’t do gamma correction etc, but the setting might be useful with scanlines on displays that artificially limit brightness in non-HDR mode.

uchristo
      Participant

Will this enable the output of a 1920x~1500 frame inside a 4k-Resolution?

marqs
        Participant

No 4K resolution, but 1920×1440 for 240pX6 and 288pX5, and 2560×1728 for 288pX6.

uchristo
          Participant

Understood that, yes. But with current FW I‘m able to create a 1920×1080 Screen with a centered 1280×1080 (lx4ed amiga HiRes Screen 320×262) screen inside. Is the old ossc able to create the 4k-Window in theory?

marqs
            Participant

The HDMI transmitter is only 6.75Gbps, 4K timings require 15+Gbps.

MMSQL
              Participant

Thank you for making these updates Marqs.

uchristo
                Participant

Indeed! The ongoing development on ossc classic is really great!

Will updating from SD-Card retain the settings or will it wipe everything?

sofakng
                  Participant

Any possibility of 480×3 resolution?  (ie. DOS VGA -> 1440p)

Paranoid_Andy
                    Participant

Hey Marqs. I had a question and some feedback.

I’d like to test this mod but I wanted to check first. Both my OSSC units have the F3 mod done to them. As far as I’m understanding it, I can just remove that mod as it’s no longer needed? If it is still needed, then is this beta series mod compatible with the F3 mod? Just trying to be safe.

Also are there any specific use cases that you’re looking for? I think it would be good to let people know in the main post what you’re looking to have tested. I have way too many consoles, PCs and PCBs to test everything but if there was something specific you were looking for and I have the equipment then I could try it.

Also I had no idea this beta firmware was around until today. I think it might be worth at least mentioning it on the JunkerHQ site to let more people know this is going on because until today I honestly thought the OSSC was just kinda done being worked on.

Really glad to see these new changes 🙂

marqs
                      Participant

Will updating from SD-Card retain the settings or will it wipe everything?

From 0.90 all settings are reset.

Any possibility of 480×3 resolution? (ie. DOS VGA -> 1440p)

480p->2560/1920×1440 is technically possible if TX pixel repetition is used, but there are some challenges in practice (see last answer).

I’d like to test this mod but I wanted to check first. Both my OSSC units have the F3 mod done to them. As far as I’m understanding it, I can just remove that mod as it’s no longer needed? If it is still needed, then is this beta series mod compatible with the F3 mod? Just trying to be safe.

The mod might still be needed so I’d keep it. The respective compatibility option is still available.

Also are there any specific use cases that you’re looking for? I think it would be good to let people know in the main post what you’re looking to have tested. I have way too many consoles, PCs and PCBs to test everything but if there was something specific you were looking for and I have the equipment then I could try it.

Also I had no idea this beta firmware was around until today. I think it might be worth at least mentioning it on the JunkerHQ site to let more people know this is going on because until today I honestly thought the OSSC was just kinda done being worked on.

I recall reports of Xexex based PCBs and Killer Instict not working with the stock firmware, so these are at least something that could be checked with the v1.xx series.

I’ve not made too much noise about the firmware yet as there is at least one issue still in need of fixing and this beta only just recently got into feature parity with v0.90 (actually still lacks DIY latency tester functionality). There’s indeed no more major updates planned for OSSC Classic as the FPGA resources are exhausted, making it time-consuming to optimize space for anything new. The long due cleanup was still something I wanted to do before putting the project into rest.

Paranoid_Andy
                        Participant

Sounds good Marqs. I don’t have those 2 PCBs at the moment but if that changes I’ll gladly test them.

Tried out the firmware and I’m loving it so far! The phase hotkey alone has made life so much easier.

Thanks for the reply and info. Also thanks for continuing to update the OSSC. Seems like so many products just get put out, then abandoned once they get their money. I really appreciate your dedication to your products.

Paranoid_Andy
                          Participant

Hey Marqs, after using the firmware for a couple more days now. I’m still liking it a lot. I do prefer the Load/Save options to be near the top of Settings like they used to be so I can save faster, but that’s just me. I’m still trying things out, but so far so good.

On the topic of arcade hardware, something came to mind as a possible feature. I do remember you saying features are limited at this point, but I thought I would at least mention it, assuming it would even work.

When it comes to getting the Sample Rate of a PCB, this can be very difficult if the game doesn’t have proper test patterns. I’m unaware of any other way to make the game generate a test pattern if it’s not built into it.

I noticed when I was doing some Sample Rate testing and went into the Color Bleed section of the 240p Test Suite that the Color Bleed pattern clearly showed the signal on the screen the same way the Checkerboard pattern does. I realized with some more testing the signal can be seen when you have a near-black pixel to the left or right of a brighter pixel.

If the OSSC was somehow able to skip adding color to every other vertical line during capture, then I’m pretty sure this would create the same effect as the Checkboard pattern. Then you would just need a simple static screen on the arcade game, which a lot seem to have after you insert a coin.

I know this wouldn’t be a perfect setup, but I really think it could be very helpful compared to what is available right now, if it’s possible.

Do you think something like that could be done?

Sk8er000
                            Participant

I’ve just made the mod and flashed this fw thank you for all the hard work!

I still need to do some tests but in the case I want to downgrade to 0.90 (if for example I want to use the presets that are on the web) do I have to revert the hw mod or I can flash directly the 0.90 fw?

marqs
                              Participant

I still need to do some tests but in the case I want to downgrade to 0.90 (if for example I want to use the presets that are on the web) do I have to revert the hw mod or I can flash directly the 0.90 fw?

You don’t need to revert the hw mod.

Paranoid_Andy
                                Participant

So far testing is going pretty well.

My TV has trouble locking on to Line 6x @ 256 optimal unless I set the H.Active to 272. TV is a LG C1.

There may be an audio issue as well but I’m still trying to find out if that was a loose wire or an OSSC issue. It hasn’t happened for a few days now. I’ll report more if it seems like the OSSC.

Also I’m not sure if you saw my 2nd post above Marqs. Was just curious.

*Edit* Seems I can get a lock in 6x without increasing H.Active. It’s odd. Sometimes it works with the same setup and sometimes it doesn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 318 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.