Acer GN246HL – Aspect Ratios and Issue with Line5x (SNES)

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Acer GN246HL – Aspect Ratios and Issue with Line5x (SNES)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tp
    Participant

Hello, I just setup a new OSSC and am blown away how great it makes games look. Literally feels like I’m playing on my CRT with the response time of my monitor and the lag free performance of the OSSC. I just have a few questions to ask about configuring it.

Monitor: Acer GN246HL 144MHz 1ms Gaming Monitor (1080p)
    Console: Super Nintendo (1CHIP-03 w/ Luma Sync SCART)

Passthru: Input not supported
    Line2x: 4:3 aspect ratio is too wide
    Line3x: 4:3 aspect ratio looks correct
    Line4x: 4:3 aspect ratio is too wide
    Line5x: Black screen but signal seems to be detected by the monitor

I tried some of the suggestions from the Tips & Tweaks thread but haven’t had any luck getting picture using Line5x. Everything is reset back to default. Here are my questions:

I am pleased with how the game output is displayed in Line3x mode. Nothing is cut off and the aspect ratio looks correct. Is it possible for the game to be displayed the same way in Line5x mode or will it be cut off since 5 x 224 > 1080? I would like to record game output without anything being cut off so if this isn’t possible using Line5x and the full resolution of my monitor then Line4x is what I will need to use, which leads me to my next question. How do I correct Line4x to actually be 4:3 and not stretched? And finally are there any specific settings that need to be made when using a Super Nintendo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Harrumph
    Participant

You have to set aspect ratio on your monitor. X2 is anamorphic 4:3/16:9 (720×480), x4 output is 4:3 (1280×960).

tp
    Participant

Thanks! That makes perfect sense now. Appreciate the help.

tp
    Participant

Alright, so I’ve been content playing games using Line4x for awhile but I’d like to try and make Line5x work now, especially since my capture card has finally arrived. I just updated my firmware to 0.82 a few minutes ago but I’m not sure if that changes anything specifically for the SNES. Haven’t had any luck trying the various tweaks for Line5x advanced timings. Attempting to use Line5x, the screen will display black most of the time, while some of the tweaks make it flash ‘Input Not Supported’ randomly. Any suggestions?

Edit: My profile settings were lost after updating the firmware. Not sure if this is intended. Thankfully, I remembered the setting fixed the signal cutting out randomly.

Harrumph
    Participant

Yes, profiles are wiped on FW update. You can save your profiles using a web app and then import them after updating your firmware next time. http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/?i=1

For your question, I think your display is simply not compatible. You can try the 1920×1200/1600×1200 modes, but if they work they will be downscaled since you have a 1080p display.

tp
    Participant

I did try those different resolutions but they didn’t work either. Sucks my display can’t support it but at least Line4x works fine. I’ll keep checking for any developments made in the future. Thanks.

tp
    Participant

Would a de-jitter modification possibly fix Line5x not working with my display? Wondering if this is the reason it doesn’t want to cooperate.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Have you tried anything other than SNES?

Many people prefer line 4x to line 5x anyway, plus at 1080p line 5x will be cropping the image or downscaling, so don’t feel like your necessarily missing out on anything major here.

tp
    Participant

I haven’t tried my N64 or GameCube yet but I’m pretty sure neither output RGB natively. You’re right about the cropping part I’m just curious as to why it doesn’t work for me. My concern at the moment are these little flashing half pixels I’m getting though. I’m hoping it’s a setting on my OSSC that can be tweaked to fix it. Any idea what it is?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.