Add RGB range (limited/full) output option

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Feature Requests Add RGB range (limited/full) output option

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SirRockALot
    Participant

This is surprisingly absent from the OSSC. It seems like virtually every HDMI console supports both, the only exceptions I can see is that the Wii U only does limited while the OSSC only does full. Many people have displays / setups with flaky range autodetect and chose to just go all-limited for maximum compatibility.

I’d assume scaling and offsetting the OSSC’s full range to limited would be relatively easy in terms of implementation effort and runtime cost and this feature would help integrating the OSSC in certain setups. An option for RGB range would be much appreciated.

marqs
    Participant

A recent test firmware has an option for YCbCr444 output (under TX mode) which is unambigious regarding color coding range (aside from xvYCC). That can be used with displays that are unable to decode RGB quantization flag embedded in HDMI signal.

SirRockALot
    Participant

Oh, neat. Guess that avoids the issue entirely. Thanks!

Unfortunate that so many displays seem to have an issue with handling this automatically. My old TV did it just fine. I can only assume that some popular device specified the format wrong and display manufacturers started ignoring it.

drojman
    Participant

That firmware update works great for me. I was getting severely crushed blacks without it, I think due to my monitor. Will it introduce any issues using it in that mode?

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.