Am I totally screwed?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Am I totally screwed?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WHAT
    Participant

So I’ve owned an OSSC for a little less than a year. I really like the device, unfortunately I think I may have killed it. I wanted to capture an additional source with my capture card. Since the card is a single input I figured the easiest way to do that would be to use a simple HDMI switch. So I purchased This One off of Amazon. When I had both devices plugged into the switch and swapped sources to the device opposite my OSSC I noticed the display of the OSSC would flicker. So I could see right away that something was wrong, and it was being fed electrical current where it shouldn’t be. So I immediately disconnected the device, but it seems the damage was done…

Ewww

This is what the feed coming off of the device looks like now. I doubt there is a solution for this. I think I just plain borked it. I’m posting this here in the hopes someone might give me a better idea, but I think I’ll have to scrap my device…

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by WHAT.
    nmalinoski
    Participant

I’m not an electronics expert by any means, but it seems like the underlying image is fine, so I would think that you might be able to get away with replacing the HDMI TX chip, assuming that’s what took the power from the switcher/splitter device.

Separately, if you haven’t done so already, you should leave a scathing review of that device on Amazon to warn others; it shouldn’t let you damage your devices like that.

WHAT
    Participant

I did leave a review actually and mentioned the OSSC as the affected device. That said, its just some generic switch. I’m sure that whatever is plugged into it isn’t covered by any kind of warranty. Thanks for your suggestion regarding the TX chip. I’m confident that I could swap out a couple of capacitors or something like that, but doing a whole chip is likely outside my level of expertise. I do have a friend that might give it a go though. I suspect I’ll just be purchasing a replacement unit and let him roll the dice on this one. I also see that the OSSC pro is in the works. Maybe I’ll just wait and give that a go. Might just have to give my DOS machine a rest for a couple of months…

Poeskas
    Participant

I had a similar experience to this, with the flashing display etc from a passive mechanical HDMI switch I bought on ebay. Luckily it didn’t have any lasting impact on the OSSC, and I’m sorry to hear yours was damaged. I really went down the rabbit hole on HDMI switches with the OSSC, and at the very least, none of them played nicely with my SNES at 5x, and it’s clear that cheap ones can be dangerous to your video chain.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Can you elaborate a little more exactly how this happened? You were going OSSC->switch->capture card and the problem occurred when you switched to another input on the switch while the OSSC was still connected? What was the second input?

WHAT
    Participant

The switch had two inputs. At the time the OSSC was powered off as I only use it to send video from an older MS-DOS machine that needs to be upscaled.

So I have a modern PC going directly to the switch, while I have the older PC outputting VGA to the OSSC. The OSSC then outputs HDMI to the switch on the second input. I wanted to power on the more modern machine to start a capture. With the OSSC and the MS-DOS machine powered down I turned on the modern PC plugged into the switch, with the correct input selected to pass video to my capture card. When I did this the display of the OSSC began to flicker like the device was going to try to power on. This seemed like it was bad news so I powered off the machine and removed the switch from the equation. I just ran my modern machine direct to my capture card to finish what I was doing.

Later I hooked the OSSC back up the capture card directly and the image I posted above was the result.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Hmm, on the modern PC are you using Displayport to HDMI adapter?

WHAT
    Participant

No its just straight HDMI out from the motherboard.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

There is voltage coming down HDMI wires however I would be surprised if that was enough to damage OSSC. I’ll see if I can’t give Markus a nudge and get his opinion on this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.