Beginner Question – Gamecube through OSSC

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Beginner Question – Gamecube through OSSC

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GrahamC
    Participant

Hi folks,
    Beginner here with a beginner question! Very grateful if anyone can advise.
    I have been using a Megadrive through the OSSC (Scart cable) and works wonderfully, no problems.

I’m now trying to connect my Gamecube. I have the standard AVI component cable with the GC (outputs to red, white, yellow)
    I’ve tried plugging the AVI component into a scart adapter (just a straight adapter), then plugging the scart into the OSSC (pictured AV1). The sound gets through but no visuals.

Am I correct in assuming that I need a composite or RGB cable ‘out’ from the Gamecube to use with the OSSC? I’ve copied in images below from the user manual for reference.
    OSSC1

Many thanks in advance!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Am I correct in assuming that I need a composite or RGB cable ‘out’ from the Gamecube to use with the OSSC? I’ve copied in images below from the user manual for reference.

No, you need a component or RGB cable, OSSC does not support composite video (unless you use a transcoder/converter like the Koryuu)

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by BuckoA51.
    GrahamC
    Participant

Thank you very much (as you can tell I get confused between ‘component’ and ‘composite’!)

Would something like this be suitable? Packapunch Pro RGB

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yes although keep in mind you would be limited to 480i with that. For 480p, try something like the GCHD adapters https://videogameperfection.com/products/gchd-mk-ii-hdmi-hd-adapter-for-gamecube/

You also need compatible software (NTSC versions of games or homebrew like Swiss) to access 480p mode in Gamecube titles.

GrahamC
    Participant

OK thanks – I think that is probably a bit too expensive for me (especially as I already spent quite a lot on the OSSC itself!)

I’m hoping the RGB + OSSC should at least make an improvement over standard composite cable (yellow, white and red) being plugged directly into my HD-TV.

Many thanks again for the help, really appreciated!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Oh yes the RGB cable will be quite a bit better than just composite.

Harrumph
    Participant

Not sure what territory you are in, but RGB out only exists on PAL Gamecubes, just so you know.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Oh yes that’s true, totally forgot about that.

GrahamC
    Participant

I am in a PAL location and only have a PAL gamecube and games.

Many thanks for the replies guys – really appreciated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.