Best Picture Quality for PS2 w/ 4K TV and Component Cables?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Best Picture Quality for PS2 w/ 4K TV and Component Cables?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ddettz
    Participant

I recently bought an OSSC, but I feel like I’m still not using it to its full potential. I feel like the picture quality could be better, but I’m not sure exactly what to tweak to achieve this.

I have a NTSC Phat PS2 on a 4K Toshiba FireTV that’s hooked up through the OSSC with cheap component cables I bought online. I have been using passthrough as using LineX2 for everything I’ve played makes the quality shake, etc. and I’m also using 480i as I know the HDMI output won’t allow for 480p.

So I’m trying to see if anyone has any tips on how I can get the best possible picture quality with the OSSC. Would buying fancier component cables make a difference (e.g. Retrovision component cables), or anything else that anyone can think of? I will probably return the OSSC and just get a cheap component-to-HDMI adapter (as my TV only has composite inputs) if I can’t seem to get the quality any better on my TV.

Thanks for anyone’s help!

Harrumph
    Participant

Interlaced video is not OSSCs forte. I would recommend GBS Control. They can be had pre-modded with case now, if you are not inclined to mod yourself.

Ddettz
    Participant

Thank you for the reply! I will do some research on the GBS Control.

lynxtosg
    Participant

There’s another great GBS Control project here, https://www.gbscaio.com . Also consider having the gbs8200 deinterlace to 480p then line double with the ossc to 960p. I do this and it looks great, better than the gbs8200 scaling to 960p imo.

Ddettz
    Participant

Thanks, that’s definitely another cool idea!

Ddettz
    Participant

Actually, to have the gbs8200 deinterlace and then line double with the ossc, how exactly would I need to set that up on a 4K TV? Is there a guide somewhere for how the hardware should be setup/plugged in, etc? Also, would a VGA to HDMI converter produce a good image still?

lynxtosg
    Participant

My setup is as follows,

[component] -> [GBS8200] -> [VGA to Component] -> [OSSC]

Make sure to set the output to 480p and RGBHV output is set in the web ui. Using a tendak vga to hdmi would probably work fine. Look out for crushed blacks.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by lynxtosg.
    Ddettz
    Participant

Okay cool, so component cables from PS2 —> gbs8200 —> VGA to component —> ossc —> ossc hdmi output to hdmi tv input?

And do you mean set 480p output on the ossc, and I put RGBHV output set in the web ui for the gbs8200? (And actually if you could tell me how to access the web ui, that would be awesome lol! – or at least point me to a good guide to figure it out?) I just ordered a gbs8200 and will hopefully be receiving it soon!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.