Best possible 240p only streaming setup

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Best possible 240p only streaming setup

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RetroWorldSeries
    Participant

So I run retro gaming tournaments across the country, but I also use some modern consoles to play retro fighters because they have better ports. I also stream these tournaments, so trying to run a single PC streaming computer using multiple consoles with different resolutions can get a little complicated.

I have an OSSC which seems to work well with most of my consoles, but every now and then I get issues with sync for the SNES/N64 and the 240p/480i transitions for Tekken 2 (Tekken 5 port) on the PS2 cuts out the signal, which OBS does not like. I also use the Dreamcast and Xbox 360 with SCART, since I only have PVMs for my stream setup, but I would love to use VGA for both to stream them in 480p without having to have a separate monitor for those games.

It seems like converting everything to 240p and running it to the PVM, while splitting the VGA to maintain 480p is the best possible solution. I currently just run the SCART cables to my PVM and then use the RGB out on it to connect to the OSSC.

I also want to make sure this setup doesn’t introduce any unnecessary lag for the players.

I am not a video equipment expert though, so I wanted to get your thoughts on the following idea for a setup. The reason I included the SNES/N64 consoles in the RGB 203rxi setup was to ensure a steady signal. I may be wrong on that though. I would definitely appreciate your thoughts.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I’m not sure the Extron will do an awful lot for you where you have it in that chain. Also remember the Extron interfaces can act weird when fed 480i content.

Extron Emotia is for converting 480p back to either 480i or 240p, you can’t use it to convert 480i to 240p.

RetroWorldSeries
    Participant

So the Emotia will work fine for the Dreamcast and 360, just not the PS2? What would I need for the PS2 with 240[/480i transition issues? A VSC?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

There’s nothing really you can use. The problem is the frame rates change and that’s always going to cause issues. You could try one of the cheapy Chinese scalers that is always frame locked to 59.94 but obviously you’re not going to get smooth capture or lag free with that.

NoAffinity
    Participant

At the risk of completely missing the point of what you’re trying to accomplish, the main benefit of the OSSC is taking retro consoles to modern TV’s without lag. Why not use it for that purpose, replace the PVM’s with inexpensive but decent flat screens, and open up the possibilities for displaying and capturing? This would also solve your “separate monitors” issue, as you would be using flat screens always.

To that end, you can introduce a DVDO product like VP20, VP30 or VP50, into the mix. You will have to chain the OSSC and DVDO, ahead of monitor and capture device, then split the output to monitor and capture device. Placing the OSSC first will minimize the lag and keep the deinterlacing away from the VP*, which some models don’t stay low-lag once deinterlacing is involved.

So for example, if you have a game that switches between 480i and 240p res modes, set the OSSC to 480i line2x and 240p line3x. Set the DVDO to 720p or 1080p output (if your capture device supports 1080p adequately). The DVDO will maintain 720p/1080p output through the game’s display mode switches and your capture device shouldn’t have any issue with it (maybe a brief second of a blue screen during the switch, but it’s better than losing connectivity completely).

I’ve been toying with chaining both directions – OSSC -> VP30 and VP30 -> OSSC. No noticeable lag introduction in either scenario.

You probably need various powered switchers/splitters to achieve the final solution and depending on the consoles and how many at once you are feeding into the chain.

Hope this helps and I didn’t miss the mark completely.

RetroWorldSeries
    Participant

I’m probably going to drop the OSSC altogether. I’ve had 2 units fail on me (for different reasons) in the past week out of the 11 total I have bought. One was less than 6 months old and had less than 24 hours on it and the other was brand new with no use at all. The 6 month old one is going to cost over $100 and at least a month to fix.

That high of a failure rate and cost of service is just unacceptable for what the units cost and what I am trying to do. I’ve streamed/captured over 100 hours and traveled over 10k miles with my old XRGB2 units and no issues at all. While the video quality of the OSSC is unmatched, the poor quality control of it is just not acceptable.

El Sabroso
    Participant

I like more the flexibility offered by YPbPr solutions since is compatible with most of the stuff, and is easier to find a splitter/amp to work with YPbPr

if there is a CRT with component input, mostly will work
    if using a PVM there are cheap RCA to BNC plugs
    if using capture devices and monitors easily use of OSSC

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

While the video quality of the OSSC is unmatched, the poor quality control of it is just not acceptable.

I think you’re jumping to conclusions somewhat there. The 6 month OSSC you speak of wasn’t one of ours so I can’t comment how that was made. If it was one of ours we’d repair or replace it for free (usually replace so there’s no delay) as it would be under warranty. We’re currently looking to set up a US based returns/repair service too.

While I’ve little experience of the 2, we’ve seen plenty of failed XRGB3 units in our time.

RetroWorldSeries
    Participant

And that’s why I don’t use Xrgb3’s either. Those were the first units i ever owned, and had nothing but problems with them. I’ve had 6 xrgb2 and pluses with never a problem.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

OSSC failure rate (excluding units damaged by customers e.g using wrong PSUs) is around 1.2%.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.