Buzzing on SNES Jr on OSSC

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Buzzing on SNES Jr on OSSC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kruuth
    Participant

My SNES Jr buzzes with going through the OSSC. The Genesis, PSX, Saturn, etc don’t do this. I made a video:

Is there a fix for this?

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yes and no. I believe loud buzzing like that is due to unshielded or poorly-shielded cabling; so, if you cheaped out on your SNES video cable, that may be why. I got this kind of buzzing when I ordered the basic $6 SCART cable from Behar Bros when I ordered my Toro for my Dreamcast, and it was significantly reduced when I replaced it with one of those shielded Kabeldirekt SCART cables on the US Amazon.

That said, since you’re using the analog audio output, there will always be some level of buzzing (analog noise floor), which will be noticeable when you turn up the volume when no audio is playing.

And then perhaps the best way to get audio out of the SNES, barring a native HDMI mod (none of which exist at this point, to my knowledge), would be a TOSLINK mod, which gets you digital audio output over an optical cable, which means no interference from other cabling and no analog noise floor, but potentially means audio jitter (which I have never noticed using TOSLINK on my other consoles).

kruuth
    Participant

K.. I’m willing to try another cable. Be in USA. Which where can I get one?

NoAffinity
    Participant

https://retro-access.com/ is a US seller of the highest quality cables. They are a bit challenging to order from, however. You have to get on their site at 10 a.m. EST, as that’s when they make everything available that they have parts to build. Great products, though. Half of my cables are from them.

The other half of my cables are from retrogamingcables.co.uk. Their prices and quality are comparable, and they offer free shipping to the US and Canada. It can take a few days longer for your package to arrive due to coming from overseas, but that’s the worst case scenario in my experience…a few days. Their website is easier to order from.

Anybody have any other recommendations, stateside?

paulb_nl
    Participant

Do you have the same buzz when you connect the SNES with composite video cable to your TV?

kruuth
    Participant

No I don’t think I do.

kruuth
    Participant

Is anything actually in stock at retro-access?

nmalinoski
    Participant
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Insurrection Industries sell the best quality SCART cables stateside – https://insurrectionindustries.com/product-category/cables/

kruuth
    Participant

Yeah read it. Checked them over to over and no stock ever.

noodohs
    Participant

It literally says on the top of the front page that they are not stocking SCART cables until at least tomorrow so some R&D can get done.

NoAffinity
    Participant

Insurrection Industries sell the best quality SCART cables stateside – https://insurrectionindustries.com/product-category/cables/

Bookmarked!

kruuth
    Participant

Meaning checked and then checked and never had them. Cable from insurrection ordered.

kruuth
    Participant

Ok. A new cable is used by Insurrection and buzzing carries on.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Is the buzzing only when the screen is white? Connect directly to the OSSC taking the switch out of the equation and see if it still buzzes like that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.