Cannot get 5x 1600×1200 working on different monitors/cables :(

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Cannot get 5x 1600×1200 working on different monitors/cables :(

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stormy
    Participant

Hi I hope someone can help,

I keep spending money on monitors and cables trying to find something that works at 5x 1600×1200.

My main two monitors:
    NEC Multisync LCD2170NX
    NEC Multisync LCD 2090Uxi

Cables tried:
    Amazon basics HDMI to DVI-D
    Genuine Belkin high quality HDMI to DVI-D

Settings on OSSC:
    Latest firmware 0.88
    Basics of making sure 5x is 1600×1200, output is DVI, 5x mode generic 4:3.
    Firebrand-X’s profiles for MD/Nes/Saturn etc. Also tried all defaults.

Neither monitor will sync at 1600×1200 no matter what I do. I’ve also tried many widescreen monitors, Dell, Hp, Eizo. I just can’t get it right unless I’m doing something horribly wrong. But ideally I want to use my high quality 4:3 monitors 🙁

Please can someone help, it’s driving me bonkers. I’ve had my OSSC for a couple of years now and I’ve never had it right.

ps – I tried the tips and tricks sticky also to no avail

Steo
    Participant

Is it a PAL or NTSC console? It’s never as easy when it comes to 50Hz consoles.

stormy
    Participant

I have three consoles, MD ntsc, NESrgb ntsc, Saturn pal, none work…

I just don’t understand why it isn’t working. Surely the output of the OSSC should be independent of the input? The input is syncd perfectly so surely it means there must be an issue with the OSSC generating a stable 60hz 1600×1200 signal? Perhaps there needs to be a fix in firmware.

Harrumph
    Participant

The output is not independent. The output is a direct multiplier of the input sampling clock. Line counts and refresh rate cannot be altered. That is simply how the OSSC works. So the output is often quite far from VESA or CEA standards. While you can influence the pixel clock by adjusting sample rate, there are limits to this because it will affect the aspect ratio.

E.g. while x5 1600×1200 of NES in generic mode is 161 MHz (at 2046 sample rate * 262 * 5 * 60.08), very close to 1600×1200 VESA without reduced blanking (specs compatible with CRT monitors) at 160.9 MHz BUT it still has too high horizontal frequency due to having more lines than standard, AND it is way off VESA with reduced blanking (130 MHz), which is the standard adapted for flat screens. (CRT monitors need longer blanking due to the ray gun physically needing to move back across the screen to draw the next line).

If you try using 1920×1200 mode on your widescreen monitors, that may fare better. While OSSC output pixel clock is still 161 MHz (at defaults, for NES), the VESA reduced blanking standard for that mode is 153 MHz, so you are in closer range. You will get even closer if you lower the sample rate to 1950 (as mentioned in tweaks thread), then output is 153.5 MHz, BUT then you have reduced the line so much there is barely space for sync and backporch (1950-1920= 30, which needs to fit both sync and backporch), and your monitor may reject the signal for that reason.

stormy
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. It is just such a shame that some of the best 4:3 monitors ever released can’t sync with the OSSC in their native res of 1600×1200. But like you said, it’s not the OSSC’s fault.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows of a 4:3 monitor of good quality and size that should work in 5x? Thanks

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

The old Samsung Syncmaster 204bs that I had lying around did.

The trouble with 4:3 LCDs is they’re very dated now, even high quality ones can’t hold a candle to more modern panels.

My advice would be not to obsess with this, it won’t look anything like it did on a CRT monitor anyway, though I appreciate you may prefer a more over-sharp look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.