Component to VGA passthrough on V3?

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Component to VGA passthrough on V3?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bfbiii
    Participant

Hi there! Noooooob here 🙂 I am currently connected to V1 (RGB modded AV Famicom/Scart) & V2 (PS1/HD Retrovision Component) on the OSSC, and I would like to connect a PS2 to V3 with the original component cable. Would I be able to achieve this sort of passthrough with this?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABG38HH0032

And, if so, am I correct in assuming this would add no additional latency?

THANKS!!!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

You probably could but this is not recommended since AV3 does not have a low pass filter.

bfbiii
    Participant

Oh! I guess I must be using the default low-pass on AV1 & AV2 and I didn’t even know. I have a lot to learn. It’s kind of crazy, but my LG 50″ UK6300 actually knows if it is accepting AV1 or AV2, and let’s me save a couple different settings for each (even in Game Mode–although I’m guessing it’s doing this by noticing the difference between what I send from the PS1 & what I send from the NES, so perhaps it won’t distinguish between AV2 & AV3)–but assuming it does distinguish AV2 and AV3, could I just lower the sharpening on the TV to achieve the same low-pass, or is there more to the low-pass filter than that?

nmalinoski
    Participant

I’m not convinced that your TV can tell which input is active on the OSSC; I think it’s much more plausible (but still unlikely) that the display can tell the difference between 480p at 60.08Hz from the Famicom and 480p at (I think) 59.94 Hz from the PS1.

As for connectivity, if you’re using Tim Worthington’s NESRGB board, I suggest getting the component video addon installed, and then running component video from all of your Famicom, PS1, and PS3 through a component switch, and then into AV2 on the OSSC.

Personally, I use an Audio Authority 1154A to connect all of my Xbox, PS2, and first-gen Xbox 360 to my OSSC. Additionally, this particular model has TOSLINK inputs and outputs, which I use to get digital audio (including 5.1 surround, when possible) from all three.

bfbiii
    Participant

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!

BlueStinger
    Participant

The device you linked shouldn’t add any input lag. This device is passive, meaning that it doesn’t do anything to the signal (upscaling for instance). Passive devices are often easy to spot because most of them don’t require a power source like a USB cable or a power supply. Some devices use power that runs through the cable though (like the “Pound HD Link Cable v1” for OG Xbox for instance), so keep that in mind. Basically, something that doesn’t have a micro-controller will not add any lag (OSSC adds 0.2ms if I’m correct, which in this case is absolutely nothing)

With that type of devices, the worst that can happen is deteriorating the video quality, just avoid to daisy chain too many of them. Bob from RetroRGB got an issue with a passive “DVI-D to HDMI dongle” similar to the one you linked, he was surprised this could have such a noticeable negative effect (I’m was surprised too, that’s a good lesson I think). So, bear that in mind too, even though it’s not common, you should always consider that these devices CAN cause issues too when you try to diagnose a problem.

bfbiii
    Participant

BlueStinger. Ah, makes sense. As I learn more about optimizing retro gaming, it does seem that every single decision can have a profound impact on the truly important stuff. I’m a big fan of Bob’s work/dedication/enthusiasm, and I think I might remember that 🙂 Perhaps a switcher is in my future.

BlueStinger
    Participant

Indeed, you will waste money on the wrong devices more than once, but the more it happens, the more you learn. It’s very fascinating, I took the “hard way” because I was seeing the OSSC/Frameister as “lazy solutions”. So I bought myself some Extron equipment (like a System 4 LDxi, a line doubler) and some other things, I made it all work but still wasn’t happy with the results. Now I’m using the OSSC and my setup is complete… and I feel empty ^-^

So, my advice is : Don’t be afraid of making mistakes, spending hours researching the next device and wasting a bit of money in the process, that’s the best part. Once you’ll get what you wanted, sure you will be happy (I am) but the quest is almost as interesting as the goal.

I can’t wait for the “OSSC 2” which will be able to go to even higher resolutions and create new challenges. By “OSSC 2” I don’t mean a real OSSC 2, just the next hot device that will replace the OSSC and the Frameister in the future.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I took the “hard way” because I was seeing the OSSC/Frameister as “lazy solutions”. So I bought myself some Extron equipment (like a System 4 LDxi, a line doubler) and some other things, I made it all work but still wasn’t happy with the results. Now I’m using the OSSC and my setup is complete… and I feel empty ^-^

If you want a new hobby, you can start fitting your consoles with HDMI mods. :]

bfbiii
    Participant

BlueStinger: yeah, I’m happy to tinker and spend some money to learn 🙂 That’s fun! Just don’t want to fry my OSSC or consoles, and there are some big gaps in my knowledge which I try to be conscious of!

I think I’ll try that little device just to see what happens, and then take some time to decide what style of switcher I want. To nmalinoski’s point, I’m not sure I’d want to go full component because I adore EXACTLY what I get with the RGB AV Famicom through SCART, and I’m not that motivated to alter the best thing I’ve got going. But, still, I could go that route… OR… have everything else go through component… things to think about–all fun thoughts!

nmalinoski
    Participant

Going full component wouldn’t be required; you could very well keep your Famicom hooked up to AV1, and then run your PS1 and PS3 through a component switcher into AV2.

Alternatively, you could spend a little more to get a SCART switcher and an RGB SCART cable for your PS1 so your Famicom and PS1 are hooked up to AV1, and then connect your PS3 to AV2.

bfbiii
    Participant

Got some stuff to think about! It’s actually a PS2, but I think all the same applies 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.