Connecting OSSC to N64/TV

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Connecting OSSC to N64/TV

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    craigv
    Participant

Hi All

I’ve spent the last 2nweeks ordering cables and trying numerous ways to get a recently purchased N64 to work on my Samsung TV. After exhausting my options I have come across the OSSC.

The OSSC has arrived in the post today and I’ve just hooked it all up and I have …some progress!.
    The sound works perfectly but unfortunately the image is incredibly vague and dark.

Could somebody please shed some light on what I need to do to get it working correctly? I’m not so good with all the settings and fine tuning bits so would massively appreciate some guidance!

Many thanks in advance

Craig

nmalinoski
    Participant

Two questions: 1) Is your N64 RGB-modded, and 2) How are you connecting the N64 to the OSSC?

No stock N64 supports RGB or YPbPr output–just composite video and S-Video–which makes them fundamentally incompatible with the OSSC, which requires YPbPr or RGB.

craigv
    Participant

Hi

The N64 is PAL and completely original (I’m in the UK).
    It is connected by scart cable to the OSSC. I have the red/white/yellow N64 cable too and also the N64 aerial cable.

I’ve attached some images below. The first is of the screen that I get when I turn the console and OSSC on, once I press RGBS it turns to what appears to be the correct channel. The music is perfect but screen very very dark and vague.

I get the impression I need to tune it or change the settings on the OSSC but have no idea how to do that 🙁 Could you help in any way?

Thanks

tv

tv

TV

Harrumph
    Participant

The N64 does not output RGB. You are connecting composite video to the OSSC (sales page clearly states OSSC does not accept composite video). You either need to RGB-mod your console, or wait for the composite/s-video to component converter to be released.

craigv
    Participant

Thanks for the information.

How is it that there are lots of people using the N64 via OSSC then?

Can I use a different cable from my N64 to the OSSC to make this work?

Thanks

nmalinoski
    Participant

How is it that there are lots of people using the N64 via OSSC then?

They’ve installed RGB mods, be it a simple RGB bypass for the very early launch models or the more comprehensive RGB boards from Tim Worthington or borti4938; and I’m sure there’s someone who’s got their UltraHDMI-modded N64 running through an OSSC for some reason.

Can I use a different cable from my N64 to the OSSC to make this work?

No, a new cable won’t magically make RGB work–the console does not output RGB on its AV port at all, so you will need to install an RGB mod or have one installed for you.

Then, if the SCART cable you have now isn’t fully wired/doesn’t have all its pins in the SCART head, you will need an RGB SCART cable for your N64’s video region (NTSC or PAL).

nullifer
    Participant

Sorry to burst into this conversation, by I’m curious why the OSSC doesn’t accept Composite signal through the Scart connector with an adapter.
    Here in europe we connect our composite signals via an adapter which converts the signal into the scart input.
    Here is an example
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41WE3iKuMFL._SX425_.jpg

Harrumph
    Participant

The OSSC digitizer chip does not handle composite or s-video. Composite can be routed through a SCART connector, but that does not magically turn the signal into RGB.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Sorry to burst into this conversation, by I’m curious why the OSSC doesn’t accept Composite signal through the Scart connector with an adapter.
    Here in europe we connect our composite signals via an adapter which converts the signal into the scart input.
    Here is an example
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41WE3iKuMFL._SX425_.jpg

Most displays that take SCART typically accept all of RGB, S-Video, and composite (and sometimes YPbPr), whereas the OSSC only accepts RGB and YPbPr.

That adapter is a passive adapter, so it will let you put composite video on SCART, but, like Harrumph said, it does not have the capability to change composite or S-Video into a format that the OSSC will understand. The OSSC will accept composite video as a sync signal (as well as luma and clean composite sync), but it will still need those other RGB signals in order to show an image.

If you want to use consoles or old PCs whose best output capability is composite or S-Video, you will need something like a RetroTINK 2X (If you want HDMI output) or VGP’s upcoming Koryuu (if you want YPbPr output and/or to pair with the OSSC).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.