Default 800×600 handling not being upscaled

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Default 800×600 handling not being upscaled

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    McBeengs
    Participant

Hi everybody! Quite new user here, so if anyone is willing to help I ask you to please read until the end, even if it is a little long, since there’s a high chance that I misunderstood something along the way.

I’m trying to connect a DOL-101 Gamecube without CGVideo to the AV3 port of the OSSC using a generic S-video to VGA converter (similar, but not quite the same as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M38P1H/ref=psdc_280341_t1_B003NUN7DG). The box I have actually does a pretty good job at outputing a clean RGBHV signal, the problem is that it automatically upscales the 480p composite/svideo to a 800×600 (629p on the LCD) minimum and then outputs it to the OSSC, which in turn doesn’t properly apply any of the line doubling methods at any resolution, leaving me with a small (albeit nice) picture at the center of my TV; only the scanlines seems to work as intended by this point.

I mean, this makes sence since 800×600 isn’t officially suported as a input resolution, but I was left wondering if maybe by twinkering with the advanced timings options I could, at least, get a fullscreen to work at other accepted resolutions.

So I tried scale back the input to the original 480p and then try to get the 480p/576p proc. Line2x, but it didn’t seem to work; I’ve also tried to “manually” set a higher resolution of 1280×768 and above. That kinda worked in which I got a fullscreen at a correct-ish aspect-ratio, but since no real upscaling was being made the image became so bad to the point of being worst than a direct composite plug-in to the TV.

I’m using a Sony KDL-40R355B as the display, which I know Sony TVs can be picky at times, but so far it was able to handle everything I throw at it, range from 1CHIP SNES / Modded N64 via SCART, Component / SCART PS1 and PS2 and beyond.

So basically with the context above, what I could do to get something usable out of this workaround?

Harrumph
    Participant

At this point, I would just wait for the Insurrection component cables if I were you. They should be out if not within a few months then at least this year.

McBeengs
    Participant

Well, while I didn’t know about this particular cable, the thing is that the idea behind this anyway is to get a quick and dirty way to connect a console that I still don’t have the correct RBG cables and / or the appropriate mods to do so. So while it might be a GameCube for now, it could be a NES tomorrow, for instance.

And at the end of the day, it seems that the component cables you talked about still uses the digital port on the DOL-001 model… So no luck for me until I get an older model myself.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I would leave that composite/S-Video to VGA scaler set to output 480p, and then configure the OSSC to pass-through 480p to let the TV do the scaling.

McBeengs
    Participant

Unfortunately, that seems to be impossible for some reason; I forgot to mention in the post, but this box does the upscale no matter what, with the 800×600 being the minimum, with no option of turning that off.

Getting straight from the seller’s post, these are the “upscaled” resolutions it can spit out:

800*600 @ 60Hz, 800*600 @ 75Hz,1024*768 @ 60Hz,1280*1024 @ 60Hz,1440*900 @ 60Hz,1680*1050 @ 60Hz,1920* 1080 @ 60Hz,1920*1200 @ 60Hz

Obviously, anything above that VGA gets very bad very quickly since the upscale it applies isn’t any better than my TV, and the OSSC already gives up and passes-through those resolutions anyway.

Harrumph
    Participant

I’m trying to connect a DOL-101 Gamecube

Ah sorry, I missed that you have the GC without digital port.

In any case, I think that VGA box is not a really ideal product to pair with OSSC. Even if Marqs were to implement a detection specifically for 800×600, I’m not optimistic the linedoubling (outputting 1600×1200) would look particularly good, because the initial conversion in that VGA box is simply not very kind to the original signal.

I recommend you look for other options, even though they will be neither simple or cheap, e.g. either Retrotink2X, internal GCVideo mod, or buy another DOL-001 GCN and the upcoming component cables.

nmalinoski
    Participant

If you get a DOL-001, you also have the option of pairing it with a GCVideo product with HDMI output, which you can either connect directly to your HDMI equipment, or to the OSSC through an HDMI to VGA converter; though, like Harrumph said, it won’t be cheap.

Harrumph
    Participant

Apparently, a composite/s-video to component transcoder was just announced, to be sold via VGP. That would be a nice fit for you!

‘Koryuu’ Composite & S-Video to Component Converter Announced

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.