Do settings reset when updating firmware? And if so…

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Do settings reset when updating firmware? And if so…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ifightdragons
    Participant

Do the settings on the OSSC reset to factory default when the firmware is updated?

And if so, what is the easiest way to save time from having to re-configure every setting? I’ve seen the online profile editor but that looks like a hassle to setup and manually configure/import.

Any ideas? Kind regards.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yes, a firmware update will wipe all of your settings; and, no, there is not currently a method of exporting profiles from the OSSC to the SD card.

Right now, the best method of preserving settings across firmware updates is to use that profile editor to configure everything, export as JSON, and save that JSON file somewhere safe; because you can load that back into the profile editor and then export a binary version of your profiles for whichever firmware version you’re using. It may seem like a hassle for first-time setup, but, once you’ve gotten through it, that JSON file will let you reload profiles a lot faster than reconfiguring the OSSC manually after each update.

Trixster
    Participant

Is this actually true? When I was testing beta 0.84 firmware for the Panasonic ‘fix’ last week my ossc definitely kept its settings between multiple fw flashes.

ifightdragons
    Participant

Could someone clear this up? Looks like we have two opposing answers.

nmalinoski
    Participant

After consulting the Firmware Update section of the manual, the issue is that profiles are not compatible across firmware revisions; so, if you’re just reflashing the same firmware revision, like Trixster, you won’t lose your profiles, but you will if you flash a different version than what’s currently installed.

Admittedly, I was generalizing, because the typical end-user is usually only flashing to newer firmwares, not continually reflashing test versions.

ifightdragons
    Participant

Thanks for the input, it seems you must be right.

But Trixster couldn’t have been flashing back and forth on the same firmware, that would make no sense.
    He was most likely flashing from 0.83 to 0.84 (beta version), which would be two different firmware revisions. At least, that’s how I’m interpreting his post.
    So, something doesn’t add up here. If he kept his profiles between those different revisions, this thread is still hanging in the balance.

I do believe you’re correct nmalinoski, I just want it to be definitive. If not, the thread is useless and confusing for posterity and future visitors.

paulb_nl
    Participant

The OSSC saves the firmware version inside the settings and the firmware checks this version number during loading of the settings.

So if you flash from 0.83 to 0.84 the settings won’t be erased but they will just not be loaded by 0.84 and it appears that everything is reset. It means that if you flash back from 0.84 to 0.83 your settings will be back.

marqs
    Participant

Fron 0.84 onwards, firmware version is decoupled from general settings and profile versions. It means that fw. 0.84 may e.g. have settings version 0.83 (if no new settings are introduced in fw 0.84) and profile version 0.84 (if new profile options have been added in fw 0.84). That makes updating a bit more flexible as new fw version does not automatically mean that all user-saved options (including custom remote mappings) become invalid.

SavagePencil
    Participant

Is there an auto-migration that is performed? Will my 0.83 profiles “become” 0.84 ones?

ifightdragons
    Participant

Good question, wondering the same myself.

marqs
    Participant

No, they won’t automatically become compatible since the option structure between profile versions becomes different every time a new setting is added.

ifightdragons
    Participant

Not trying to be difficult, but I don’t understand your first post then. It seems to partly contradict the last post.

Do you think you can lay it out more clearly?

Will we able to migrate and keep our settings across firmware updates soon?

nmalinoski
    Participant

Not trying to be difficult, but I don’t understand your first post then. It seems to partly contradict the last post.

Do you think you can lay it out more clearly?

My understanding is that there are settings that are specific to profiles, and other, general settings that don’t apply to profiles, and 0.84 will treat them separately; so, chances are that, with a future firmware update, something will change with the profile settings, but not with the general settings, in which case the general settings will be preserved while the profile settings will be wiped.

Will we able to migrate and keep our settings across firmware updates soon?

I don’t think you’ll be able to do this on the device itself, but you can do it now by using the web-based profile editor and exporting/preserving a JSON version of your profiles; when a new firmware comes out, load your JSON back into the web app, export a binary profile file for the new firmware, install the new firmware, then import the profiles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.