Does the OSSC replace PVM monitors?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Does the OSSC replace PVM monitors?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MCLiLBas
    Participant

Hello,

question in title, Could any expert answer my question please?

I am thinking of getting a SONY PVM Monitor for retro gaming, I do have the OSSC 1.6, and it’s amazing, however, do you think if I have the OSSC, I don’t really need a SONY PVM Monitor? Does it replace it? Because most PVM’s are expensive!

Thank you and appreciate it!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Depends what you want to do, what your expectations are etc etc. A PVM monitor has no input lag at all, an OSSC has no input lag, but most displays it connects to will have some. A PVM is compatible with light guns, an OSSC set up isn’t. A PVM handles 240p to 480i transitions perfectly, an OSSC setup loses the picture for at least a split second. On the other hand good luck getting a PVM in the sorts of sizes you can get HDTVs in these days and good luck playing 1080p or 4k content on a PVM.

Earthshaker
    Participant

Hi have a similar doubt, I am an happy owner of a PVM but, it’s quite small (14″) and I would love to play my retrogames on my big hdtv. I have just a doubt.. how can I hook up nes, 3do, atari or other composite consoles with OSSC? Can I use a RCA to scart adapter?

nmalinoski
    Participant

Hi have a similar doubt, I am an happy owner of a PVM but, it’s quite small (14″) and I would love to play my retrogames on my big hdtv. I have just a doubt.. how can I hook up nes, 3do, atari or other composite consoles with OSSC? Can I use a RCA to scart adapter?

You can’t use an RCA/S-Video to SCART adapter, because the OSSC can’t decode S-Video, Composite, or S-Video; it is only compatible with YPbPr and RGB. If you want to use those consoles with a modern TV, you’re going to need a RetroTINK 2X, which will accept SD video sources over Composite, S-Video, or YPbPr Component, and put it out over HDMI. It can line-double 240p and 480i to 480p, line double with a smoothing filter, or simply digitize the original signal.

To use your Composite and S-Video consoles with the OSSC, you can connect them (one at a time; it has no switching capability) to the RT2X, then connect the RT2X to AV3 on the OSSC with an active HDMI to VGA converter. These don’t add any lag. If you have RF-only consoles, I believe you’ll need to run that through an RF demodulator, either a standalone unit or one built into a VCR, then that into the RT2X.

Likewise, and relevant to the original poster’s question, you can pair the OSSC with the same kind of active HDMI to VGA converter to use the OSSC on RGB monitors, like PC monitors, PVMs, and BVMs, and that should allow you to use any YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, and/or RGBHV CRT monitor does not directly have that type of input. Throw the RT2X and another active HDMI to VGA converter into the mix, and you’ll be able to use composite and S-Video sources on these monitors as well.

Earthshaker
    Participant

Thank you for the detailed reply. However I hope there will be an updated version of the ossc which supports those signals with a transcoder as too many ppl have a nes, a jag or other AV composite consoles. I will have a look for a Retro Tink 2x as you recommended me, then I can think of buying the OSSC

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yes, the NES requires significant modification to get RGB or HDMI output; but the Jaguar just needs an RGB cable.

If you want an all-in-one solution out of the gate, get a Framemeister. It’ll be about the same price as an OSSC plus an RT2X; it takes composite and S-Video, as well as RGB (via miniDIN), YPbPr (via D-Terminal), and HDMI; and it has a bit more capability, in terms of scaling and image normalization for compatibility with TVs, but at the cost of very slight lag (Is it only 1 frame? I don’t recall) and somewhat subpar handling of 480p.

If you do spring for a Framemeister, make sure you get one with the SCART adapter (Do they call it EuroSCART?), not the JP-21 adapter; they’re not compatible, and mixing the two can damage your consoles and equipment.

If you just want a simple device that will let you play your composite and S-Video consoles on your HDMI TV, and you don’t care about RGB or YPbPr, and you can get over the fact that composite video will look bad regardless of what you do (Use anything better when possible), you can always just use the RT2X on its own.

Earthshaker
    Participant

Thank you again for the advices! Very appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.