Downscaling with OSSC Pro

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Downscaling with OSSC Pro

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Not much to report on the OSSC Pro front right now, Markus is still hard at work on the firmware. Right now the device does basic line multiplication as well as adaptive line multiplication, which should make it compatible with almost all displays.

One cool feature that was planned for the OSSC but never made it was downscaling. On OSSC Pro, you will be able to convert 480p to 240p. I tested this feature today with an original Xbox running at 480p and posted some results on my Flickr. If you have an old CRT in your gaming setup, prepare to breathe new life into it by playing all your favorite retro style indie and 2D titles on it again in glorious 240p πŸ™‚

downscaling example

downscaling example

downscaling example

For bigger versions visit flickr directly:-

IMG_3556
    IMG_3557
    IMG_3558

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by BuckoA51.
    haloharry
    Participant

you will be able to convert 480p to 240p
    Is this a typo?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

No, that’s exactly what I’ve done here.

Guspaz
    Participant

I assume that it will support 480p to 480i and 240p, and 480i to 240p? I can think of a few use cases for all of those:

– 480p to 480i: Connecting a PC to a BVM/PVM/CRT TV
    – 480p to 240p: PC/console/Pi/etc. retro games to 240p
    – 480i to 240p: 240p-as-480i games like the wiiware stuff where the games render at 240p but output 480i

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

1) Unlikely in release firmware, but should be possible Markus just confirmed this over on Shmups.
    2) Confirmed above πŸ™‚
    3) Yes, confirmed!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by BuckoA51.
    Joe-pearson
    Participant

Will this device have more true interlaced signal for 480I consoles i am not a fan of the current OSSCS bob deinterlacing and can’t fit a CRT in my house

Thanks

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Joe-pearson.
    nmalinoski
    Participant

Will this device have more true interlaced signal for 480I consoles i am not a fan of the current OSSCS bob deinterlacing and can’t fit a CRT in my house

Since it’s going to be a proper scaler, as opposed to a simpler line multiplier (like the regular OSSC), it should be capable of both. My understanding is that it’s intended to have deinterlacing that will be game-focused (as opposed to most deinterlacing solutions, which are intended for video and film).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Good deinterlacing isn’t trivial, the device will be capable of fantastic deinterlacing but what it will have when it is launched I don’t know.

Mock
    Participant

Exciting stuff, OSSC Pro is going to be the master of all trades!
    Can’t wait to get mine. πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.