Erratic behaviour in custom output mode

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Erratic behaviour in custom output mode

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

recently I bought a new AV receiver (Denon AVR-X3500H). When passing signals from the OSSC through the receiver to my monitor (ViewSonic VX3211-mh), the following happens:

1. Line5x modes for SNES signals work (before, with a direct connection from OSSC to monitor, only other 240p signals worked; the SNES output was limited to Line4x)
    2. The custom 240p Line4x mode described here works erratically. At first, there was no picture at all; I could rectify that by setting H. active to 1441 instead of 1440. I saved that setting and thought to be done with it, however, upon restarting the OSSC, I was greeted by a garbled picture (see here). Switching H. samplerate from 1705 to 1706 and back again resulted in the expected “normal” picture. As soon as the video signal is lost, e. g. due to resetting the SNES, the picture is garbled again and I have to do the H. samplerate switch again.

What’s going on here? Can anything be done against this erratic behaviour?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I forgot to mention that this erratic behaviour isn’t limited to Line4x. For example, if I customize the Line5x 1600×1200 to output 1440×1200 pixels in the same way I customized Line4x mode before, the same behaviour occurs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is you SNES dejitter modded?

Have you tried FBX’s optimization?

http://www.firebrandx.com/OSSC/OSSC%20-%20Nintendo%20Super%20NES%20Optimal%20Timing.txt

You can set pixel ratio to 4:3 in 256×240 optimized mode, if 4:3 is your preference.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, my SNES isn’t dejitter modded.
    I haven’t tried FBX’s settings in particular, but generally, the Line5x “256×240 optim.” modes work perfectly (however, I don’t don’t like to use them due to them being unsuitable for games running in the SNES’ high res mode).

Frankly, I’m not trying to find workarounds or makeshift solutions – I’m interested in making work what worked before and does work if I do something that shouldn’t have any effect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well then, good luck with it. The SNES’s native jittery sync signal is likely causing the different issues with different equipment. If you scroll down from your shmups post that you linked above, others are also reporting various sync issues with Denon receivers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If push comes to shove, I can just do the switching trick every time I want to play a SNES game.
    Nevertheless weird.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.