Finished Building OSSC, Both leds solid color, screen turns on shows nothing

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – DIY Support Finished Building OSSC, Both leds solid color, screen turns on shows nothing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hinglecringle
    Participant

Alright so the OSSC was way harder to put together than I expected, and considering the tools I used/have, I think I might have jumped the gun too soon and accidentally killed this thing.

I have a basic multimeter and a RPi for troubleshooting, I heard you can use a raspberry PI to access the FPGA, does anyone have a link on how to do this?

When I flip the power switch, the leds and the screen turns on, and that’s it. When I first turned it on the LEDs flickered a little bit, but now every time I turn it on they’re always solid.

I have not soldered in the RCA, 10 pin header, audio jacks and scart connector in order to have access to the board if something is wrong. Orientation on everything is correct.

I’m afraid I might’ve killed the FPGA by overheating it when I was trying to solder the ground plane, I don’t have hot air so I just used an iron from the bottom. Same with the other chip, but I feel like I soldered the ground plane so fast for that one that it couldn’t have overheated.

I’m going to try and reflow the pins on the chips soon, but is there anything else I can check?

I’m trying to figure out how to use my phone’s IR blaster as a remote.

Edit: Checked all of the regulators, they’re all outputting the correct voltage.

Edit2: After searching the forums for a bit and seeing what people have done to troubleshoot their issues and fix their units in similar situations, I’m realizing I don’t have the skills/tools to successfuly troubleshoot this thing. I’m going to put this unit and all of the parts for it on ebay next week, as most of it is salvageable. The unit is maybe repairable, but way too advanced for me to attempt at this point. Bums me out that I couldn’t build it, but I’ve learned a lot!

Edit3: The green led seems significantly less bright than the red one

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Sad to see you had no luck in troubleshooting your unit. My first try of building an OSSC 1.5 had similar problems at first: both LEDs were on and the LCD only showed a fading backlight after turning the unit on. Luckily i had access to a descent microscope and eventually found a solder bridge on two pins of the TVP7002, which was almost impossible to see with just the magnifying goggles and glasses i own. Even though i did reflow all the pins multiple times before, it was still there. I had to use some solder wick and did some resoldering under the microscope to get rid of the bridge.

Most of the time it’s simply a small thing like that you fail to find all the time. But in my case i knew the FPGA worked (at least: partially), because i had no problems flashing the firmware via JTAG.

hinglecringle
    Participant

Dang, I don’t have a microscope but I’ll check again for Bridges through the best magnifying glass that I have next week, and also I’ll look into interacting with the fpga via JTAG.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

You can use a cheap Chinese USB Blaster clone for accessing the FPGA. Those things cost around 3-5 bucks (shipping included). BUT you may have to use an older Quartus Prime version for it to work (since the driver that comes with newer versions won’t work with most of the Chinese clone devices).

I have to admit: yesterday i bought a AmScope SE400-X, since a stereo microscope really helps a lot with microsoldering stuff. It is kind of an overkill for just a one-time-project – but if you plan on soldering QFPs more often, using magnifying glasses for inspection eventually drives you to despair.

hinglecringle
    Participant

A little update on this, I haven’t put it up for sale yet as I’ve been slowly trying to reflow the pins on the chips while I wait for the Chinese USB Blaster clone, which will be a while. I just want to know that I did everything within my reach before sending this OSSC off haha. So far I’ve tried reflowing the TVP7002 and the FPGA and still the same results. I’m using the solder wick method since it’s all I got. I have a couple more chips to go, and I guess I’ll update this when the USB Blaster clone comes in to see if I can access the FPGA.

hinglecringle
    Participant

Okay, so I’ve finally got the USB Blaster, and please forgive me for this noob question but, does the OSSC need to be powered on from the PSU while the USB Blaster is connected? Any suggestions on what older version of Quartus Prime I should use? I know there’s a forum post that mentions this old Quartus Prime version somewhere I’ll try and dig for it later.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Yes, the OSSC needs to be powered from the PSU. This version of Quartus Prime does work for me:

http://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/13.1/162/ib_installers/QuartusProgrammerSetup-13.1.0.162.exe

After the installation follow the instructions from the wiki:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Updating_OSSC_via_JTAG

hinglecringle
    Participant

Oh man, to my surprise I think the FPGA might be functional! When I hit autodetect in the Quartus software it gives me options EP3C16 and EP4CE15. Why the option for EP3C16? I’m going to follow through with the rest of the instructions on that link to see if I can flash the firmware.

edit: Nevermind I don’t want to press anything yet, I can only tick one set of boxes, doesn’t look the same as the tutorial. But at least it seems that something is detected. https://imgur.com/a/SXGxHA7

edit2: If I hit the bottom set of check boxes, it checks the top one too and looks like the tutorial. I guess I successfully programmed it because it said it was completed successfully. But the unit still does the same thing, lights up and nothing else. So I guess there is a short somewhere?

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Yes… seems like there is a short – but at least you know now, that the FPGA is most likely okay and can communicate via JTAG connector. But it’s still hard to say, where to start searching for the short…

Edit:
    It’s a hell of a lot of work – but there’s something you could do: you could use a multimeter and test for continuity on every pair of pins of every IC.

Mr.Toast
    Participant

I could use some help too. Just finished my build. Final inspection looked pretty good and only found one solder bridge on the scope. Power on test I get backlight and brief red, then green led. Nothing else on the display.

I bought the advanced kit so I would have thought the FPGA already was flashed up? Or am I missing something?

Is there a troubleshooting guide beyond the spartan short to ground check and verify the LD0s are proper?

Kinda flummoxed so far.

Mr.Toast
    Participant

OK ok ok! Delay that order! 😀

I found a tiny solder ball that managed to find its way on to U17. Quick tap with some flux and the iron and…we’re in business.

Alive!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.