Garbled video output on RetroTink 2x

NewHome Forums RetroTink 2 Products Garbled video output on RetroTink 2x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    iray1979
    Participant

Hello, I am new to the board and needed some help with a retrotink 2x issue I am having with garbled video upon initial start up. I currently have a super famicom connected to it with retrovision component cables. When I first start up the retrotink, I get the normal looking colored “test pattern”, but as soon as I turn on the super famicom, I immediately get a garbled picture for a while which slowly goes to normal. What’s weird is, the device needs to “warm up” like an old tv set for 5-10 minutes for the picture to become stable. During this waiting time, games are completely unplayable. I think it might be affecting all the inputs as well because I tried an N64 with a monster s-video cable connection to the retrotink with the same results..the issue appears to be with the inputs / input processing, and not the output on the retrotink 2x. Is this a known issue and can it be fixed easily? Pictures to follow.

Normal Test Pattern”

“Garbled 1”

“Garbled 2”

“Garbled 3”

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by iray1979.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by BuckoA51.
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

My guess would be bad/failing capacitors in your SNES console although you said N64 does it too?

Can you verify these consoles work on other displays?

Where did you get your RetroTINK 2x from?

iray1979
    Participant

I think you are correct about a failing capacitor issue with my super famicom. I just retested the retrotink with my N64 using a monster svideo cable, and the picture was immediately good quality. It was not exhibiting the same picture artifacts that the Super Famicom did upon start up. I also tried the same svideo cable on the super famicom after unplugging the hd retrovision cables, and the only thing that showed up was a bit of “ghosting” along with jailbars and what appears to be video noise from electrical interferance. It appears that using the hd retrovision cables may be contributing to the initial picture issues I was having as shown in the above pictures since the svideo cable wasnt producing the exact same picture quality issues. The retrotink appears to be working as it should. Do you offer any sort of a capacitor repair kit for the Super Famicom? Maybe a kit that eliminates jailbars and possible video noise from interference? Thanks again for your help!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by iray1979.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by iray1979.
    BuckoA51
    Keymaster

We can definitely re-cap a SNES/Super Famicom but there’s not much can be done about the picture on the multichip, if it’s a 1 chip then yes we can do a RGB bypass.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.