General help with GameCube/Wii, please?

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support General help with GameCube/Wii, please?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    misternoob
    Participant

I am a tad bit overwhelmed with all the things related to these consoles, so I’m back to ask a lot of questions.

So, my current scenario is as follows:
    – OSSC 1.6 revision connected to a 1080p LCD screen
    – a 6-layer Japanese Wii with GameCube ports and composite cables
    – softmodded WiiU with softmodded vWii

What I know (or don’t know, please correct me if I’m wrong)
    – The only thing I’m missing by only having a Wii is the support for the GameBoy Player
    – The GameCube official component cable is marginally better than an official Wii component cable to the point that there isn’t a real difference while playing
    – If I ever decide to get a GameCube it has to be either a US or Japan release, as the PAL version has no digital out port it does have digital out, but doesn’t support progressive scan through official cables
    – The GCVideo internal mod has the same functions as the e-o-n’s GCHD MkII and Insurrection’s Carby plug-in adaptors
    – The GCVideo/eon GCHD outputs in 480p by accessing progressive scan in games that support it and by using a linedoubler in 480i games
    – The Wii-Dual mod by citrus3000psi only works on 4-layer Wiis and he has no plans on working on a 6-layer board revision
    – The Wii-Dual mod has the same features as the GCVideo (linedoubler, scanlines)
    – PAL Wii’s cannot output in NTSC even if softmodded (but does that matter if I’m running a NTSC game through component+OSSC?)
    – Wii-Dual outputs 640×480 inside a 720×480 window
    – vWii is screen area cropped is compared to a real Wii

Things I want to know:
    – Is there any real benefit for me to try and find a 4-layer Wii and mod it with Wii-Dual HDMI? Other than the easy setup to carry around (since it’s just the HDMI cable). Is the double lining better than the one available on OSSC? I mean, I know analog video has noise even on composite, but since it’s not as bad as the jailbars on MegaDrive or PCEngine, I’m willing to let it pass.
    – Can Nintendon’t access the GBA through the GBA cable while using one of those GC->USB on non-GameCube compatible Wiis (for GC games that interface with the GBA)?
    – I can’t find official Nintendo Component cables for the Wii in my local market, and looking on ebay, I’d spend over 100 Dollars to import it. Anyone knows how bad the Tomee/Nyko/AmazonBasic cables are?

My original intent was to have a single Wii U hooked up to my TV through HDMI. I thought that I’d be able to play Wii U, Wii and GameCube games of all regions on it (through softmoded vWii+USB Loader GX and Nintendon’t+GB->USB adaptor respectively). However, vWii image looks too dark for me and it doesn’t seem to have the full area, instead it’s like the safearea of the CRT has been cropped. Also, it kinda looks blurry? Like, as if there’s a bilinear filter being applied?

I really don’t care that much about GBPlayer, as I’m planning on getting a GBAConsolizer. Well, unless there’s something I’m missing here, but to my understanding, the only difference is the input method. But with 8bitdo’s SNES receiver, I should be able to pair most of their bluetooth controllers, right? So it’s not like I’m limited to a SNES pad.

And, for now, that’s it. Thanks.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I can’t find official Nintendo Component cables for the Wii in my local market, and looking on ebay, I’d spend over 100 Dollars to import it. Anyone knows how bad the Tomee/Nyko/AmazonBasic cables are?

I can’t speak much to everything else, but I will say that I picked up Monoprice’s Wii component cable a few months back after researching alternative cables. They have a satisfying heft, and I’ve not noticed any issues with audio or video (but I also have no testing regimen, like some in the retro gaming community).

I would absolutely stay away from anything Tomee, as they’ve proven to produce their cables cheaply, without necessary shielding.

Harrumph
    Participant

– If I ever decide to get a GameCube it has to be either a US or Japan release, as the PAL version has no digital out port
    Not true.

– PAL Wii’s cannot output in NTSC even if softmodded (but does that matter if I’m running a NTSC game through component+OSSC?)
    Not true.

– The GameCube official component cable is marginally better than an official Wii component cable to the point that there isn’t a real difference while playing
    This is not really issue of cable quality, but the quality of digital to analog conversion.

-Wii-Dual outputs 640×480 inside a 720×480 window
    Not true, but depends what you mean. You can say it scales whatever the format of framebuffer to 720×480.

misternoob
    Participant

@nmalinoski
    thanks, I’ll see if I can get a hold of those cables

@harrumph

I thought the Wii only had PAL50 and PAL60 output options, but if I get a PAL softmodded Wii I’ll be able to run NTSC games at their proper speeds?
    And thanks for the other comments

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

– If I ever decide to get a GameCube it has to be either a US or Japan release, as the PAL version has no digital out port it does have digital out, but doesn’t support progressive scan through official cables

It’s the software rather than hardware that limits this, if you have means to run Japanese or US games on your PAL cube then as long as the software supports progressive, your PAL cube will output it just fine, as will a PAL Wii.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.