Getting rid of “shadows” on PAL SNES

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Getting rid of “shadows” on PAL SNES

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leotseil
    Participant

I’m having a problem getting the optimal picture on my PAL SNES with OSSC (using the PAL SNES RGB cable with luma on sync from Retro Gaming Cable). I have used the PAL profiles by Opaque79 as a starting point, but I can’t seem to get it right. I can get a sharp and stable image, but there are some weird horizontal “shadows”. I have a screenshot below that illustrates my problem:

Shadows

You can easily see it in the white text (which should be all white inside) as well as the pixels to the right of the black borders of the title text. It looks almost like some sort of shading.

I’m using Line5x with the 256×240 optim. mode. I have tried messing around with the advanced timing options, but I can’t get rid of the shadows.

Does anyone recognize what the solution might be?

I have an old HD-TV with SCART connection, and I did not notice the shadows when connecting directly to the TV. However, my main goal is to capture game-play footage. The shadows appears both when connecting to a monitor with the HDMI output from the OSSC as well as connecting to as computer with a capture card.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Unless that’s a 1 chip console there’s not much you can do, you can try playing with the Reverse LPF (under Post-proc) as this was designed to mitigate this.

Leotseil
    Participant

Thanks for the help! Playing with the Reverse LPF certainty helped a lot, although I was not able to remove all the pixel bleeding. Seems I have a 2 chip console. Is this type of pixel bleeding a typical characteristics of 2 chip SNES consoles?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Unfortunately yes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.