How do I reprogram my Remote?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support How do I reprogram my Remote?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    twistedsymphony
    Participant

I bought an OSSC about a year and a half ago, I needed it to run an old console on a projector for a party. When I set it up I couldn’t get the OSSC to respond to the remote, I figured I was doing something wrong and the OSSC worked well enough with the default settings for my use that I didn’t think to much about it at the time.

About a month ago I needed to use it again and did some searching to figure out the remote and with fresh batteries and pushing the “TV” button the light on the remote blinks but I get no response from the OSSC. More recently a friend of mine was visiting from out of state and had his OSSC with him and his remote worked perfectly on my OSSC.

So this leads me to believe that my remote’s programming got wiped or was never properly programmed to begin with.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to re-program these remotes for use with the OSSC? I searched around for a guide but I didn’t see one.

SavagePencil
    Participant
    twistedsymphony
    Participant

I did see that page before in my searching, but that seems to be instructions on how to reprogram the OSSC to accept a different remote, not to how program the remote with the default OSSC codes, unless I’m miss-reading it?

SavagePencil
    Participant

Pretty sure you could just run through the steps in 5-10 minutes and find out.

twistedsymphony
    Participant

the very first step: “To configure the OSSC for a new infrared remote, find a suitable manufacturer code (e.g. from Toshiba, NEC etc.) so that the OSSC’s green LED blinks when a remote button is pressed

As I said in my first post: this isn’t happening with my remote. I guess I’m trying to figure out how to set the remote to a “suitable manufacturer code”.

I did find some generic instructions for the chunghop l336 s but trying to use NEC and Toshiba codes listed in those instructions didn’t have any effect.

SavagePencil
    Participant

If you hold BTN1 while booting the OSSC, and it asks you to press a button on the remote, and it doesn’t work, then either your remote is at fault or the OSSC IR sensor is.

twistedsymphony
    Participant

If you hold BTN1 while booting the OSSC, and it asks you to press a button on the remote, and it doesn’t work

That’s exactly what I’ve tried and it doesn’t work.

then either your remote is at fault or the OSSC IR sensor is.

As I said in the first post. I had a friend visit with his OSSC remote and it was able to work on my OSSC, so we’ve confirmed that the OSSC IR Sesnsor is good.

Hence why I created this thread asking how I can properly re-program the remote.

marqs
    Participant

It’s a learning remote, so if for some reason it has forgot its configuration, you need to ‘teach’ it suitable button mappings using another remote that uses protocol OSSC can understand. Easiest way is if you can borrow a L336 that is working OSSC – then it’s possible to batch-copy mappings from one L336 to another using a button combination listed in the remote manual.

twistedsymphony
    Participant

Thanks marqs. Do you know if there is a way to reprogram it without another working remote? My friend lives out of state and it might be a few months until I have the opportunity to use his remote to reprogram mine. I’ll have have to ask around and see if I can find another local OSSC owner.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

You can try to find a remote your OSSC responds to with its green LED blinking. If you don’t have any working remote yourself, you may want to ask friends, family members or neighbors, if you may be able to test their remotes. After finding a suitable remote you can use it to program your L336… and after that: programming your OSSC to accept those new codes (as in the description linked by ‘SavagePencil’).

If you want the original IR codes and you don’t have any working L336 at hand to copy the codes and mappings from, you can use an USB IR transmitter like this:

https://www.irdroid.com/irdroid-usb-ir-transceiver/

… or similar in conjunction with (Win)LIRC and this script:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC_LIRC_Script

… to let the transmitter send the original IR codes to program your L336 with them.

twistedsymphony
    Participant

damn, I was hoping there was a pre-programmed device ID that the remote was set to. Thanks for the great info though. having the raw codes is useful. I’ll have to see if I can run them through my Android phone to program my remote with the original codes since it has an IR transmitter.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.