Initial setup problem

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Initial setup problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    loke
    Participant

This is a question that must have been asked in the past. but I tried searching the forums and didn’t see anything.

I just purchased the OSSC to use with my C64 and Atari 2600. However, I’m not getting very far.

I’m getting problems even before connecting the computer. I connect the OSSC and turn it on, and it immediately displays the firmware release (0.81a). However, pressing button 1 will only switch between inputs and button 2 does nothing. How can I access the menu (in particular, to upgrade the firmware to 0.82)?

Do you need the remote control to access this menu? Or am I doing something wrong?

Harrumph
    Participant

Yes you need a remote. You can program most universal remotes, if you got one laying around.

Btw C64 and Atari 2600 don’t output RGB as far as I know, so they won’t work with the OSSC.

Unfortunately the wiki is down at the moment, but I would recommend you read the quick start guide at minimum.
    https://www.videogameperfection.com/support-files/ossc-quickstart.pdf

Edit: I found this post which details one way of programming a remote, might be sufficient while the wiki is down.
    https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/line3x-scanline-settings-without-using-remote/#post-24412

nmalinoski
    Participant

I think the Wiki has been back up for a while now: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

loke
    Participant

Thank you for the information. I just ordered the remote control.

What is your recommendation for an adapter that I can use with the Commodore 64 as the Atari 2600 (with composite mod)?

The wiki mentions several, but it’s not clear which one is the best for my uses.

nmalinoski
    Participant

You haven’t exactly shared your uses, so we can’t address those; however, I can say that if your priority is budget, any kind of composite/S-Video to component/YUV converter will do, but it won’t look all that great because the video gets degraded when it gets converted to composite video, and you can’t just reverse that degradation.

If your priority is video quality, then you will want to RGB mod the 2600 using Tim Worthington’s kit, and I think your only choices with the C64 are a Turbo Chameleon 64 to get YC->RGB converted output or replace the motherboard with an Ultimate-64 to get 576p50 over HDMI.

Harrumph
    Participant

If C64 and Atari 2600 is all you’re gonna use, I’d get the Retrotink2X instead. Sounds a bit like a rabbit hole going for RGB with those.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I agree that the RT2X will be a good fit for an unmodified C64, as it will take YC/S-Video; however, the Atari 2600 will still need at least a composite video mod (S-Video would be better, but I’m unsure of availability), because those normally only output analogue RF.

Alternatively, if you have an old VCR lying around, you could use that to decode RF to composite plus mono audio.

loke
    Participant

Thank you for your replies.

To answer your questions. I’m not particularly price sensitive. I’ve already spent more than I care to admit on my C64 just because I wanted the original European box in good condition.

I don’t want to mod hardware any more than absolutely necessary (I consider the 2600 composite mod necessary, because getting an old VCR to do demodulation is just slightly more ancient hardware than I’m allowed to bring into the house).

I may bring in some other hardware later. Probably an Atari ST, an Amiga and perhaps some old games consoles like the Megadrive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.