Is line-doubling 480p worth it?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Is line-doubling 480p worth it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Opaque79
    Participant

After softmodding my Wii to play GC games in 480p, I’ve noticed that 480p looks pretty good without line-doubling considering the non-jagged look almost looks HD in a way (not really but maybe you know what I mean).
    Line-mulitplying 240p/288p looks amazing as always but for higher resolutions it’s a little tricky to decide.

480i/576i could have the same question, except for 2x mode instead of passthrough.
    So 480i/576i = 2x or 4x
    480p = Passthrough or 2x

Hard choice

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Entirely down to personal preference. 480px2 with scanlines looks a lot like a high quality CRT (VGA) monitor. Without scanlines I find it too sharp and honestly doesn’t look much like a real CRT at all, but some people really like that look.

Opaque79
    Participant

As it turns out, I do prefer the jagged look but it can be game dependent as well. Some look better with 2x mode and some look better in passthrough mode. Either way, progressive will always look better than interlaced in most cases.

Opaque79
    Participant

New info. My TV does have some strange artifacts with 960p – horizontal lines through the image, not super noticeable but adjusting sharpness turns them red or green. When using my PC with my TV, 960p doesn’t appear in the resolution options but it accepts it from the OSSC. What’s this about?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

960p is hardly standard so it’s not too surprising that your PC isn’t offering it as a resolution you can select.

You should find the neutral point on your TV for sharpness, with sharpness up, TVs just add ringing to the image, turning it down some actually add blur. You may need calibration software (e.g 240p suite, HD video essentials) to find this point.

Opaque79
    Participant

What’s funny is that 0 is neutral on my TV except for resolutions like 1280×960 and things like that. In that case, it’s 50. Any lower and green lines appear and any higher then red lines appear.

In short, for 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p, 0 is neutral
    For others, it’s 50.

I tried my PC monitor and it handles 960p correcty (no surprises there). For my TV, 480p passthrough may be sufficient, not sure about 480i or 576i, maaybe 2x mode.

Also, scanlines don’t work in 480px2 for me. I just get a darkened image

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Opaque79.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.