Line3x = 1440×1440 pixels?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Line3x = 1440×1440 pixels?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CastingDreams
    Participant

I already knew my TV doesn’t like 3x mode, but it seems like my capture device doesn’t either! It’s an Elgato Cam Link. When I tried running Game Capture HD on my Windows PC, it refused to display anything (first time I’ve seen that!) Interestingly enough on my MacBook I was able to get a picture. When I capture it I discover this is a 1440×1440 pixel image. That doesn’t seem like a very standard resolution to me… anyone know why this is happening? Admittedly this was 480i output, and 4x worked again (1440 x 960 pixels). Am I completely misunderstanding how the line doubling works…?

Harrumph
    Participant

When you line triple 480i, it outputs 1440i which is a very non-standard resolution, and also being interlaced this is probably one of the least supported output modes of the ossc.

NoAffinity
    Participant

Is it 1440i? I thought the ossc deinterlaces, starting with 2x outputting 480i x2 at 480p, 480i x3 at 1280x960p, 480 x4 at 1440x960p. That’s how it is received by multiple devices I’ve tested.

The camlink has a hidden advanced options mode for firmware update and data transfer mode.

https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1385969-firmware-updates-and-elgato-game-capture-hd

I’ve found isochronous mode to be best, however gchd has problems for me too. Using obs has been the most stable solution I’ve found for capturing with the camlink, albeit not a completely hands off solution.

You may already know this, but maybe it helps.

CastingDreams
    Participant

Thanks for your help guys. I was also surprised that my 3x captures were output as 1440×1440. For the record, the 4x ended up being 1440×960 pixels which is more along the lines of what I expected. I guess the line multipliers are not really meant for interlaced resolutions? When I tested with a 240p game (Ico) the resulting resolutions were more predictable.

The camlink has a hidden advanced options mode for firmware update and data transfer mode.

https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1385969-firmware-updates-and-elgato-game-capture-hd

I did not know this, thanks! Mine only offers Bulk and Isochronous though…

NoAffinity
    Participant

That’s what I have available also – bulk and isochronous. I set it to isochronous from within that menu, and find that the camlink will then work with OBS and other 3rd-party softwares. Two others I have had success capturing with (both by the same company, and both free for personal use): VideoPad Video Editor and Debut Video Capture Software.

Interestingly, OBS has apparently two devices available for the camlink – one device that appears as “Cam Link” and one that appears as “El Gato Game Capture HD”. I was wondering if this is maybe some interpretation that OBS is making, of the available modes. So, I just tested setting the mode to “Bulk” and the captured video became very choppy withing GCHD as a result. I then closed GCHD and opened up OBS, and with the device set to “Cam Link”, it was also choppy. I was also able to get video when changing the device in OBS to “El Gato Game Capture HD”, and it was also choppy. I then went back to GCHD, set the mode to isochronous. Video returned to normal (not choppy) in GCHD. I opened OBS, the device defaulted to cam link, and video was normal. I then changed the device to “El Gato Game Capture HD”, and OBS crashed.

So, what I think is happening: whatever mode GCHD is set, that is how the camlink will operate (bulk or isochronous). OBS populates 2 devices in its device list, one for each mode. However, whatever GCHD is set to still overrides whichever device/mode you choose in OBS. For me, only isochronous works stably. If I set it to isochronous, the “cam link” device will work in OBS, the “El Gato Game Capture HD” will not. If I set it to bulk, both devices will work but the video will be choppy. That’s my take on it, at least. Long story short, the “cam link” device in OBS seems to be most reliable.

Interestingly, VideoPad also detects two devices, and they are available in a pull down-menu within the capture preview screen. From memory, it didn’t seem that changing the device had any effect, but maybe it’s along the same longs as what’s going on within OBS, and ultimately GCHD is driving the camlink’s operating mode. I haven’t tested the theory further, in VideoPad.

CastingDreams
    Participant

Oh! I got confused there, I thought GCHD and OBS were supposed to be settings for the Cam Link. That’ll teach me to browse the forum while I’m sleep deprived 😛 OBS actually has an interesting page on what these settings do. Since I use both a Windows 10 PC and a MacBook Pro (for “in the field” captures) with this device, “Auto” seems to be the best for me. Some initial weirdness might well be explained by the fact that I am supposed to start up GCHD, leave it running for 10 seconds, then shut it down again to update the Transfer Mode setting.

Note I only briefly tried out OBS, but it didn’t seem to be able to do anything that GCHD doesn’t already. Other than for stability, is there a reason to use it?

NoAffinity
    Participant

Good link. I may have seen that page before, but it is a good refresher. It really would be nice if Elgato would compile all of the information for the camlink in a single location…and make sure their screenshots, etc. are current. :eyeroll:

So, I think the bit about letting the camlink run for 10 seconds to put it in bulk mode is only applicable if the mode is set to Auto. I believe if it is manually set to one mode or the other, it is effectively forced to that mode. I could be wrong.

Well, OBS has many benefits. If its strictly camlink capture that you’re after, there is no benefit going to OBS instead of GCHD. I use OBS because I’m comfortable with how to customize it – adding a webcam, images, etc, in the captured field along with the capture device output. But GCHD, I see, also has some of these customizations. I haven’t played around with GCHD enough to know how robust it is or isn’t. BUT, one thing I couldn’t find a way to adjust in GCHD that OBS offers is extensive encoding options – bitrates, file types to record to, hardware and software encoding configuration.

Harrumph
    Participant

No, the OSSC does not deinterlace in x3 mode.
    http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#480i.2F576i_proc

NoAffinity
    Participant

^Thanks for setting the record straight on that mode. I guess I could’ve used the internet before pretending to know. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.