Lost in Configuration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rootifera
    Participant

Hello,

Recently I bought an ossc 1.6 as a backup to my gefen vga to dvi converter. My intention is connecting my computer to ossc via d-sub and get output via hdmi and then other end of the hdmi goes into an elgato capture card so I can record gameplay footage. So far I’ve been through quite a few guides and unfortunately they mostly sound like they’re made for people who knows more than enough – who wouldn’t even need to read the documentation. Of course, that’s my personal opinion.

I tried to make it work, managed to get some output however things are unstable:

On my computer when I switch between resolutions (1024×768 <-> 800×600) video quality goes really bad. If I pick a resolution before I turn the ossc on and stick with that resolution then video quality is acceptable (with a lot of horizontal lines). When I switch to 640×480 I only get a black screen, I’m unsure why that’s happening. If I reboot during post everything looks great, BIOS is pretty much crystal clear.

My questions are, is it possible to have multiple input resolution getting auto detected and converted into a steady-reliable 1080p (or 720p) output? Do I need to configure every single resolution that I might use individually? is ossc a correct purchase for my situation or is it mainly focused at retro-consoles which aren’t changing resolutions between games. I’m comparing it with my gefen vga to dvi converter, it doesn’t require any config other than setting output resolution once and it auto detects input. Unfortunately, it comes with a £350 price tag for a brand new one.

Thank you!

Edit: Some hardware info.

PC: Generic PC from late 90s with Win98SE and NVidia TNT2 installed.
    OSSC: Got from Amazon UK, OSSC Open Source Scan Converter 1.6 with SCART Component VGA to HDMI for Retro Gaming – Kaico Edition

Furyofury
    Participant

Hello,
    input resolutions must be:
    Line double support for 240p, 480i, 288p, 576i, 384p, 480p, 576p
    Line3x / 4x / 5x support for 240p / 288p

The outputs simply calculate according to the input (example 240p x5 = 1200p)

In some cases you will need an upscaler (example Dvdo or other brand) if you want a very specific output (or that the screen for example is not compatible this will solve the problem).
    Example:
    384p x3 = 768p then an upscaler set to 1080p = 1080p on your screen.

Note: Do not forget that a screen (pc or tv) gives a better image on the native resolution (ex a 1080p pc screen will be sharper in 1080p than in 768p)

If the help could have helped, consider buying the real ossc, an official product and not the Kaico counterfeit, on occasion;)

nmalinoski
    Participant

Input resolutions aren’t limited to just those; there are additional configurations for 400p, 960i, and 1080i, plus it will passthrough 720p, 960p, 1080p, and (I believe) 1200p just fine.

The OSSC is simply a line multiplier. As mentioned, it can, for example, bring 240p to 480p, 720p, 960p, 1080p (with top and bottom cropped), or 1200p; but it cannot do things like typical scaling or framerate conversion to produce a continual 720p/1080p@50/60Hz output, regardless of input. If you want that sort of functionality now, you’d need a Framemeister; otherwise, you could wait for the OSSC Pro.

rootifera
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you both for the replying. Shortly after sending the post I managed to get some stable video output between multiple resolutions. It looked very clear and I managed to find some settings help me to remove the horizontal lines.

I think OSSC seems like an acceptable backup device when I need it but probably I’ll go get another Gefen, OSSC is a little too complicated for me. By the way, I didn’t know Kaico is a counterfeit, seemed like the UK distributor. Thank you for letting me know.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

OSSC is a totally different device to the Gefen scaler, really you’re comparing apples to oranges here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.