NES RetroTink 2x ringing (ghosting) picture quality issue

NewHome Forums RetroTink 2 Products NES RetroTink 2x ringing (ghosting) picture quality issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jsteel
    Participant

Hi,

I have an issue with the video quality going through the RetroTink 2x from both my NTSC NES and Famicom. It’s most noticeable against solid, light-coloured backgrounds eg Mario 3 and Mega Man. Here’s a picture of the NES directly into composite on my TV:
    Without RetroTink

And here’s a picture going via the RetroTink:
    With RetroTink

I’ve tried two HDMI cables and two 32″ LCD TVs and the issue is always the same. I’ve tried adjusting sharpness and other settings on the TV but I cannot improve the image. In those pictures, the TV settings are identical (sharpness etc) on both composite and HDMI inputs for a fair test.

Does anyone else see this issue and is there a way to improve it? Switching between the 3 modes of the RetroTink doesn’t help.

Thanks

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Just a thought but you don’t have the sharpness control jacked up on the HDMI input do you?

jsteel
    Participant

Hey. No, I have the sharpness set very low. I’ve tried it at 0 (those images may even be with it set at 0 as I tried to get the image to look as good as possible) but the issue is still present.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

are you sure you have Tink set to line double and not passthrough too?

jsteel
    Participant

Yes I’ve tried all 3 modes (pass-through, line double and line double + filter) and they all show this issue. The above picture is in line double mode (one light on).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Very strange as NTSC NES was one of the most tested systems and others don’t seem to be seeing this (unlike the other problem you reported which does seem to be widespread unfortunately).

jsteel
    Participant

I’m planning on testing a few more LCD TVs with both my NES and FC via the RetroTink, making sure the sharpness is set to 0. I’ll report back with some further pictures if the issue is on all of the displays I try. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

jsteel
    Participant

I tried a 46″ Sony TV and saw the same issues even with different AV cables and a different 5V 1A power supply. Here’s direct to the TV:

NES direct

And here’s via the RetroTink:

NES RetroTink

Again sharpness is set to 0 and I played around with other settings to try and get it looking as good as I could but I couldn’t improve the ringing issue.

paulb_nl
    Participant

That ghosting is also visible in the video of My Life in Gaming at 4:25. https://youtu.be/mdUlcIR1yh4?t=265

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.