No HDMI audio on OSSC 1.6

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support No HDMI audio on OSSC 1.6

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Listai
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve been wracking my brain trying to solve this problem but I’ve come up short, I can under no circumstances get HDMI audio output from my brand new OSSC 1.6, I have tried scart, component (with 3.5 mm adaptor) and multiple cables and two televisions and every port. The only success I was able to get was switching to the audio passthrough mode and sending the audio via 3.5 mm to the HDMI/DVI port on my television which is not ideal.

I have reset the unit back to factory settings on two occasions and I am on the latest firmware, any help would be greatly appreciated.

NoAffinity
    Participant

Did you flash with the firmware ending in -aud?

Listai
    Participant

Thank you!,

That will teach me for skimming through the wiki instead of reading it.

Works perfectly now.

NoAffinity
    Participant

There really should be a sticky for this
    It seems someone has the same issue at least once a week. Glad you got it sorted. 🙂

CastingDreams
    Participant

Marqs, would you consider changing the naming of the firmware files? I’ve seen several instances of the -aud ending throwing people off. It confused me too! Now that the OSSC 1.6 is what most users (especially new users) have, the firmware with audio is the most appropriate one to use. And the simplest firmware name should always be the default one! So I propose changing:
    ossc_0.81-aud.bin -> ossc_0.81.bin
    ossc_0.81.bin -> ossc_0.81-noaud.bin

I can almost guarantee you that these “no sound after flashing firmware” problems will disappear 🙂

nmalinoski
    Participant

Would it be possible to create a unified firmware that could be flashed to both styles, but only enables audio support if the relevant hardware is present?

On the other hand, since the next step in the evolution of the OSSC is going to be a different piece of hardware altogether, how much sense does it make to put time and effort into changing things up for the current, soon-to-be-deprecated generation of OSSC hardware? (Plus, the manual is quite clear about which firmware you need for which hardware.)

CastingDreams
    Participant

On the other hand, since the next step in the evolution of the OSSC is going to be a different piece of hardware altogether, how much sense does it make to put time and effort into changing things up for the current, soon-to-be-deprecated generation of OSSC hardware? (Plus, the manual is quite clear about which firmware you need for which hardware.)

What’s obvious to an experienced user like yourself is not necessarily obvious to someone new to the field…
    Instead of reflexively disagreeing with my suggestion, try and put yourself in their shoes, or just imagine you’re downloading firmware for a new device?
    Obviously the choice is not mine, and it’s not a particularly big deal either – but I think bringing up “time and effort” is a little exaggerated, we are just talking about a simple rename here.

On the other hand, I had no idea a new generation of OSSCs was about to be released? Last I read, Markus was working on refactoring the OSSC’s firmware.

nmalinoski
    Participant

What’s obvious to an experienced user like yourself is not necessarily obvious to someone new to the field…
    Instead of reflexively disagreeing with my suggestion, try and put yourself in their shoes, or just imagine you’re downloading firmware for a new device?

I’m not disagreeing with your suggestion, merely questioning the need for such a change. Is it better to adapt to the failings of a few people (how many users are actually having this problem versus the total userbase?), or would it be better to help educate new users, perhaps with a FAQ thread detailing common issues like this? Somewhere in the middle, perhaps?

As for how I handle firmware for a new device, if I’m not familiar with the hardware, I’m going to look at the manual. I generally have a hard time wrapping my head around how some people don’t either just skim the manual for the relevant info they need, or just ask in the forums; it’s all out in the open and publicly-accessible (aside from the OSSC firmware repo being a little difficult to find); it’s not like trying to get a manual from Oracle, where you’d need an account and an active, paid support contract.

If lack of access to or knowledge of the manual is or is part of the issue, then that’s something that can and should be addressed.

On the other hand, I had no idea a new generation of OSSCs was about to be released? Last I read, Markus was working on refactoring the OSSC’s firmware.

Sorry; I believe I was mistaken about the degree of changes marqs is intending to make. I’ve been corrected over on shmups that the next step is a “soft CPU” change, not hardware; so same hardware, but ultimately leaner firmware.

CastingDreams
    Participant

If lack of access to or knowledge of the manual is or is part of the issue, then that’s something that can and should be addressed.

Good point. I was just making a suggestion – I guess to me the -aud naming feels like something that is less than ideal, for purely historical reasons…

By the way, there is some more info on firmware changes at the bottom of Junker HQ:

“Replace Nios2 with a more featured core (e.g. Pulpino) to allow using memory resources more efficiently”

Seems like pretty much every other firmware improvement depends on that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.