No picture

NewHome Forums RetroTink 2 Products No picture

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AekaGSR
    Participant

I just got my Retrotink2x.

I’m not getting a picture. I’ve noticed that the input LEDs flash rapidly when the supplied mini HDMI cable is plugged in. If I remove the cable and power cycle the lights no longer flicker. The lights flicker even when I have just the hdmi cable plugged into the Retrotink and not my display.
    To me it seems like a possible bad cable or could it be the Retrotink?

James-F
    Participant

Same thing here, but my RT2x works fine.
    Seems like the “Hot Plug” feature of the HDMI chip acting up, datasheet calls for a 10k resistor to ground which is absent from the RT2x.

This should be in the manual:
    Always plug the HDMI cable before plugging the micro USB power cable.

AekaGSR
    Participant

Thanks. I found the problem to actually be with my fast charger. I ran the power to my PC and it works just fine now.

James-F
    Participant

Ah yes, a phone charger is the worst way you can power the RT2x, plenty of ripple.
    A TV or a PC has LM7805 regulators for the 5v lines of the USB ports, so they are very clean in comparison to a phone charger.
    The previous post still applies, so make sure you connect the HDMI first only then the power.

AekaGSR
    Participant

Yeah I didn’t realize that a charger for an 800+ dollar phone was such shit. Haha.

James-F
    Participant

Well, it’s not shit for what it is designed to do, a phone charger is designed to charge a phone battery nothing more.
    A video processor which relies on a clear power source for minimal picture noise and instabilities needs a ripple free clean power source from a well filtered noiseless 5V DC regulator.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.