No picture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    magusware
    Participant

Hi all

I just got my OSSC today and hooked everything up, fired it up and I have no picture when selecting the source. I can hear the audio but the TV is just black. I have tried following the troubleshooting in the quickstart guide to no success.
    The LCD screen is reporting RGBS 312p 15.59kHz 49.99Hz
    The input is a Super NES (PAL)

I have tried multiple hdmi cables, and I have also tried it on my PC monitor, still no video.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Harrumph
    Participant

Before you select the source, do you get a gray test pattern screen? This is output in standard 480p and should be compatible with all displays.

magusware
    Participant

Yes, I do.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

SavagePencil
    Participant

Is the OSSC showing a red or a green light?

Have you tried a reset to default parameters? Settings opt -> Reset settings ( http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Reset_settings )

magusware
    Participant

The light is green, I just tried resetting it now and it didn’t do anything

nmalinoski
    Participant

What is the make and model of your display, and does it support PAL and/or 50Hz input?

Steo
    Participant

Some displays are very temperamental with the SNES. My 4k set doesn’t work on Lx2 on 60Hz, yet it works at Lx2 on 50Hz. The only way I can make 60Hz work is with Lx3 with tweaked settings.

What TV do you have?

Also go to output settings and try different modes for 240p. Line x2 is the default setting, though if you have no picture on that then I doubt other modes would work.

marqs
    Participant

SNES at 288p should be fairly compatible, are you sure you’re using a RGB cable?

magusware
    Participant

I have a Sony Bravia KD-49XE7002, also tried it on a BENQ GL2450.

My setup for it is this:
    SNES -> RCA cable -> RCA/SCART Adapter -> OSSC

The RCA and Scart adapter I’ve been using in the past with an older TV which had a Scart socket, the RCA cable I had plugged into my current TV which also worked.

If I unplug the video RCA (yellow wire), the display says “No Sync” which is what I’d expect to be honest.
    Thought I’d also test the Yellow in the Y port while I was at it to see if I got a black on white picture on that, and I do.

My sega saturn works with it.

nmalinoski
    Participant

My setup for it is this:
    SNES -> RCA cable -> RCA/SCART Adapter -> OSSC

That’s your problem. The OSSC only accepts RGB and YPbPr component inputs. Feeding composite video from that yellow plug into a SCART shim doesn’t do any conversion to RGB. You specifically need an RGB SCART cable for your PAL SNES.

The OSSC will accept composite video, which is why it reports it has valid sync at the expected dimensions and framerate.

magusware
    Participant

So what exactly is it receiving then :O.
    I’m not going to lie, I honestly thought there would be no diference in the yellow/red/white into a scart adapter compared to a cable that is scart

Harrumph
    Participant

It can extract sync from the composite video signal, but as stated above OSSC needs RGB signal to display video. Just get a sync-on-luma RGB cable and it will work fine.
    You can read up on RGB video and how it differs from composite elsewhere. Scart is just a connector standard, not a video standard.

magusware
    Participant

Aye I knew it was a connector, but I honestly thought the snes just output video signal I didn’t realise where was this much to it.
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

I have placed an order for this
    https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/super-nintendo-pal-rgb-av-scart-cable-lead-cord-for-sale?search=luma

Will message back to say if solved or not when it arrived.

Steo
    Participant

Ah yeah that makes a lot more sense then as to why it’s not working. I think I was thinking of 60Hz on the SNES having issues.

There’s a huge difference also, it’s night and day. A lot of people would argue that composite (yellow) looks like crap compared to an RGB signal. It’s better than RF, but it’s not even close to the quality of RGB. It’s just like a degraded version of S-video with a lot of artefacts.

Actually I should order one of those myself instead of using the GameCube cable on my SNES because it’s the wrong one for it 😛

magusware
    Participant

Thanks a lot all, the cable arrived today and I am happy to confirm everything is working.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.