Noise flowing up the screen..

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Noise flowing up the screen..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Dawes
    Participant

I get a horizontal band of noise that flows up the screen from the bottom. (I’m using the OSSC on my amiga, and other than this it’s a totally solid display) It’s hard to explain, it’s like a heat haze almost, just a jiggly band.

I can’t figure out what setting, if any could help lessen it. I’m running line 3x .. it basically looks like what the entire display does if I turn down (to higher values, so maybe turning “up!”) the low pass filter.. is there any way i can turn it up higher than 9mhz?

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

I get this exact same thing. Pretty sure it’s a power issue.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

If it’s an A1200 or CD32 I’d definitely get the system recapped. On my CD32 I had to get the machine recapped, swap the PSU and install a RGB mod (don’t use the RGB from something like a SX32 or terriblefire) to get rid of all the noise.

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

I actually have this same thing happening on all my systems, although it’s much more noticeable on 240p systems. I’ve used two OSSCs, an official pre-HDMI one and a knockoff HDMI one. Both have the same issue. Used the power supplies that came with each and swapped them too. I’ve bypassed my SCART switch and I got the same issue, so that’s not the part of the chain. Running everything through power conditioners.

Systems tested:
    – NES
    – SNES
    – N64
    – Gamecube
    – Wii
    – PS1
    – PS2
    – Genesis
    – Dreamcast

I don’t want to start blaming the design of the OSSC because I haven’t heard of this being a widespread issue, it’s just weird I’d have it with two different models. Any ideas?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

What PSUs do you use with your consoles?

Michael Dawes
    Participant

Ah interesting, thanks both 🙂 My Amiga is using a new PSU and a new RGB Scart cable (plugged into the amiga’s standard 23 pin connector) – But the Amiga’s the only thing I’ve really tried on the OSSC and I guess I could try the Wii on it and see if I get the noise with that too. In the long term I plan on getting the A1200 recapped anyway, so maybe that’ll help as well.

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

All stock power supplies. NTSC only.

Michael Dawes
    Participant

All PAL here, but the noise is also apparent if I switch to NTSC screen modes. I can’t see the noise with the Wii plugged in using Component cables so it seems like an Amiga issue here.

I tried a different SCART cable on the amiga and the noise was much, much worse.. Which makes me think if there was a premium, shielded SCART cable for the amiga i might be able to mitigate or remove the noise entirely. Anyone know where I can buy one of those though? I’m only finding pretty flimsy looking ones like my two. :/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.