Only right channel audio when using PS2 with OSSC + Jitter in image

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Only right channel audio when using PS2 with OSSC + Jitter in image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Maka8295
    Participant

Hello! Im only getting right channel audio with my PS2 and OSSC. Both the audio jack and HDMI out are having this problem. I’ve tried 2 different PS2s and 2 different SCART cables and the problem still persists. When using the OSSC with my super famicom there are no problems with the audio from what I can tell.

Also a bit of a tangent, but the image seems to jitter very slightly when playing PS1 games, is this normal? Its only noticeable when viewing the screen from quite close, but can be a bit distracting when Im using a PC monitor. I would provide video but it’s too subtle to be picked up.

Sorry for the double question!! Any help at all would be fantastic!

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Jitter is quite common on analogue video sources unfortunately.

Is it anything connected to the 3.5mm input then that has this problem? Did you buy from us?

Maka8295
    Participant

Hey, Thanks for the reply! I did purchase my OSSC from you guys. I tried using the speaker on my monitor (HDMI port), an external speaker (3.5mm) and finally my headphones (3.5mm) and sure enough only audio from the right ear cup. Unfortunately they all exhibited the problem for only the PS2, they seem to work fine for my SFC. Could it be that both of my PS2 cables are faulty in the same way? I doubt that both my PS2s are faulty. 🙁

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

When you’re using your SFC though are you going in via AV2 or via the SCART/AV1 connector. It’s possible the SCART connector works ok but AV2 audio in does not?

And just to check you did verify that AV2 audio connector was pushed in all the way?

Maka8295
    Participant

For my SFC i’m getting the audio from the AV2 (left of the HDMI [SFC -> SCART -> AV2 -> Speaker]). Also when using the audio from the HDMI cable (ps2 -> SCART -> HDMI -> Monitor) it has the same problem as when im using the AV2 (ps2 -> SCART -> AV2 -> Speaker). Finally all the plugs are securely in place and as far as they can go.

Also as a I was just testing again, the jittery signal has gotten significantly worse to the point it looks like waves are going across the screen…. oh dear 🙁

I hope this information helps nail it down…

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Sorry, having trouble following… just to be crystal clear are you saying…

PS2->SCART->AV1 on OSSC->bad audio (missing channel both on HDMI and analogue out) BUT
    SNES->SCART->AV1 on OSSC->audio is ok?

Maka8295
    Participant

Yes that right! Sorry for my poor wording, i’m quite new to this hobby.
    Im really at a loss for what could be causing this…

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I would have said SCART cable but you say you tried two?

Do you have a flash cart for your SNES, can you run 240p test suite and check that the audio left and right definitely, 100% works?

Maka8295
    Participant

Yeah, I tried 2 PS2 SCART cables and the problem was there with both. Unfortunately, I don’t have a flash cart, but I tried Seiken Densetsu 3 on my SFC with my headphones on and switched between mono and stereo on the main menu. I was getting audio from both ear cups (unlike with the ps2) and could hear that the different parts of the music were coming from each ear when on stereo mode.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Extremely strange. Audio pins are the same on both consoles SCART cables, I cannot see how one can work and the other not.

Maka8295
    Participant

Well, i’m not lying! Is it possible both of my PS2 SCART cables are just broken in the same way?

Maka8295
    Participant

I’ve tried updating my firmware and it hasn’t fixed the audio problem unfortunately. The rippling effect going down the screen also seems to have stopped. Any ideas?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I suppose it is possible that both cables are damaged, there doesn’t seem to be another logical explanation.

Ripple noise can be caused by dodgy power supplies, what else do you have on the same power strip?

Maka8295
    Participant

My PS2’s power supply is internal i’m pretty sure but I have the OSSC, monitor and just the PS2 power plug on the one power strip.

Maka8295
    Participant

So I just tried swapping the left and right audio on the OSSC menu and have some interesting results which may help.

When using my headphones through the 3mm jack there is no difference at all in audio when I swap between left and right, the audio still only comes from the right ear cup even when swapped and the music sounds the same.

The music coming from the monitor does swap however, only coming from one speaker at a time but swaps sides.

Does this perhaps narrow things down? Is the 3mm a simple pass through straight from the PS2 which isn’t affected by the OSSC setting?

As for both of the cables being faulty, i’m starting to think that may not be the case as my other cable did not have this problem before and was sitting in a draw until this problem started happening.

Please help! I want to enjoy my games again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.