OSSC and Sega 32X Sync Issues (PAL)

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC and Sega 32X Sync Issues (PAL)

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AnttiXyZ
    Participant

Hi,

I recently purchased OSSC to connect my Megadrive/Mega-CD/32X combo to my Panasonic TC-P55VT60 TV. However, I’ve been unable to get it working.

What I get is a black screen and blinking text on OSSC’s display. The text is switching rapidly between different resolutions (260p, …, 625-i) 15.55KhZ 49.76Hz and NO SYNC. With no cartridge inserted, I should get the Mega-CD startup menu in 50 Hz. Booting with an MD cartridge makes no difference.

My MD has region and 50/60 Hz switches (only the MD is modded). If I insert a standard MD game which works also in 60 Hz and select 60 Hz, I may get the picture, but only intermittently. Usually the menu shows up, but when the game starts, the screen goes blank. It may come back again randomly for a second or so after a while.

So, 50 Hz is not working at all and 60 Hz very poorly.

Here’s the facts:

– OSSC is updated to the latest FW and seems to be working fine otherwise (test pattern and all menus)
    – The consoles are working fine, tested with my CRT TV
    – The consoles are connected through RGB Scart
    – My TV should be compatible according to the thread here, I’m using Line2x for now
    – I’ve tried Panasonic hack on and off, no difference

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas what I should try?

I’ve understood that these Sega consoles should be working pretty much out of the box, but no such luck for me 🙁

Thanks & Regards,
    Antti

AnttiXyZ
    Participant

No one has any idea? Am I missing something? What could/should I try next?

Could the OSSC be faulty?

It’s a bummer if I spent 180 € and it just doesn’t work 🙁

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

That sounds like a cable issue if the OSSC is struggling to lock onto a signal, that can’t be your TV at fault.

What kind of RGB cable do you use? If it’s an early “clean sync” cable, maybe it’s not attenuated properly.

Furthermore, there were a run of so-called “sync boosted” 32x patch cables which were badly designed and now discontinued, it’s not one of those is it?

AnttiXyZ
    Participant

Hi and thank you for the answer!

The cable from the 32X to OSSC seems to lack some pins on the Scart end. Can’t say much more about it. I can’t remember where I got it back in the day.

The cable between MD and 32X is a custom cable I bought years ago on Ebay, it takes audio from the headphone socket. Now, the next questions:

1) Is the 32X -> Scart cable the one to suspect here, or can the problem lie also in the MD -> 32X cable?

2) Where can I get a cable that is guaranteed to work?

Thanks & Regards,
    Antti

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

1) Both are suspect at this point.

2) I know Retro Access and Retro Console Accessories both sell them, if they have stock.

AnttiXyZ
    Participant

Hi again and thanks for the help. I finally got the cables in the mail. It did the trick, the picture is now stable.

However, I only got Line2x working. Line3x gives me black picture with sound, 4x loses sound also. They should work on my TV (Panasonic TC-P55VT60) according to the compatibility thread. I’ve done the required tweaks to advanced settings. Maybe the TVs have some regional differences, I have an EU model.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

You might find 60hz works while 50hz does not?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.