Tagged: sega 32x sync
April 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM #46570
I recently purchased OSSC to connect my Megadrive/Mega-CD/32X combo to my Panasonic TC-P55VT60 TV. However, I’ve been unable to get it working.
What I get is a black screen and blinking text on OSSC’s display. The text is switching rapidly between different resolutions (260p, …, 625-i) 15.55KhZ 49.76Hz and NO SYNC. With no cartridge inserted, I should get the Mega-CD startup menu in 50 Hz. Booting with an MD cartridge makes no difference.
My MD has region and 50/60 Hz switches (only the MD is modded). If I insert a standard MD game which works also in 60 Hz and select 60 Hz, I may get the picture, but only intermittently. Usually the menu shows up, but when the game starts, the screen goes blank. It may come back again randomly for a second or so after a while.
So, 50 Hz is not working at all and 60 Hz very poorly.
Here’s the facts:
– OSSC is updated to the latest FW and seems to be working fine otherwise (test pattern and all menus)
– The consoles are working fine, tested with my CRT TV
– The consoles are connected through RGB Scart
– My TV should be compatible according to the thread here, I’m using Line2x for now
– I’ve tried Panasonic hack on and off, no difference
Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas what I should try?
I’ve understood that these Sega consoles should be working pretty much out of the box, but no such luck for me 🙁
Thanks & Regards,
AnttiApril 16, 2021 at 12:22 PM #46738
No one has any idea? Am I missing something? What could/should I try next?
Could the OSSC be faulty?
It’s a bummer if I spent 180 € and it just doesn’t work 🙁April 17, 2021 at 11:05 AM #46765
That sounds like a cable issue if the OSSC is struggling to lock onto a signal, that can’t be your TV at fault.
What kind of RGB cable do you use? If it’s an early “clean sync” cable, maybe it’s not attenuated properly.
Furthermore, there were a run of so-called “sync boosted” 32x patch cables which were badly designed and now discontinued, it’s not one of those is it?April 19, 2021 at 1:58 PM #46818
Hi and thank you for the answer!
The cable from the 32X to OSSC seems to lack some pins on the Scart end. Can’t say much more about it. I can’t remember where I got it back in the day.
The cable between MD and 32X is a custom cable I bought years ago on Ebay, it takes audio from the headphone socket. Now, the next questions:
1) Is the 32X -> Scart cable the one to suspect here, or can the problem lie also in the MD -> 32X cable?
2) Where can I get a cable that is guaranteed to work?
Thanks & Regards,
AnttiApril 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM #46822
1) Both are suspect at this point.
2) I know Retro Access and Retro Console Accessories both sell them, if they have stock.May 2, 2021 at 8:34 PM #47124
Hi again and thanks for the help. I finally got the cables in the mail. It did the trick, the picture is now stable.
However, I only got Line2x working. Line3x gives me black picture with sound, 4x loses sound also. They should work on my TV (Panasonic TC-P55VT60) according to the compatibility thread. I’ve done the required tweaks to advanced settings. Maybe the TVs have some regional differences, I have an EU model.May 3, 2021 at 10:37 AM #47140
You might find 60hz works while 50hz does not?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.