OSSC Flashing Issues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Deleted User
    Participant

Hi together,

I’ve been running into a couple of issues with my DIY OSSC (1.6 from GIT). I’ve sourced all the parts, and managed assembly so far. When flashing volatile, I get a working device, but flashing the factory default does not work.

Connecting the JTAG with a clone USB Blaster, I’ve encountered some Issues with Quartus 18.1 and flashing the firmware onto the permanent flash of the device.

(EDIT: I have been able to massively increase stability with a high quality USB cable. This gives me a much improved handling with Quartus 18.1 and my clone USB Blaster) I only get a very wonky connection via JTAG. When I do get a connection, I can actually program the FPGA and the device starts up. I get display + Green Light. I’ve also hooked up a SCART- Connection and got HDMI output with a green tint. (Green issue is probably a bridge on the Diode arrays that I’ll check later). I can also navigate through the menu using the on device buttons.

The FPGA identifies as 10CL016(Y|Z)/EP3C16/EP4CE15 Usercode 0x00BD39A2)

What I’m not able to do, though, is permanently program the firmware onto the serial flash. Following the README, I convert the firmware and load it in the programmer, but after a while of programming I get an error (Blaster Hardware gone) or the OSSC turns off. I’m using an S25FL116K0XMFI041 from AliExpress for the chip.

When I convert the Programming Files, Configuration Device is set to EPCS16. and under Input Device I get the “Flash Loader” as EP4CE15.

I’m not quite sure where to continue from here, as I’m banging my head against this and not getting any verifiable consistent error to fix. I only get “Failed”.

In theory, I should be able to program the Flash with a TL866 thereby taking out Quartus and the USB Blaster out of the equation? Is there any documentation available which format I need to push through the TL866 onto the chip? I’ve tried some variantions, but to no avail. πŸ™

I’ll gladly provide pictures/additional information as needed.

EDIT:

The green tint issue actually was a capture issue and solved by forcing color modes. I’ve also found a remote control that works after programming it. The values are also stored successfully and survive a power cycle.

Thanks for your time!

Deleted User
    Participant

Hello again…

a short Update: I managed to flash the Chip by writing an Image to an SDCard, volatile flashing the FPGA, and then using the firmware update function. This way I was able to work around the USB Blaster issue that I seem to have.

A few ideas, and maybe someone is interested:

– Debugging can be a pain, so I was thinking about making it easier.

– I’d like to make a list with images of Probe points after Assembly to check for possible shorts. (What must be connected to ground, what may not be. Includes Regulators, etc, common places for solder bridges).

– Correct voltage measurements and values. For example, VCCA wasn’t present for me. (Faulty/damaged TLV70025).

– Diode mode measurements for critical paths.

– Description of common faults behaviors (Magic smoke, flickering Backlight, LED states).

– Description of Powerup states. For example, a DIY device powers up with Backlight + both LEDs on. This is normal until programming the FPGA.

– Common Faults in Quartus, and different Types of USB Blasters. (Mine seems to be having a Timing issue, and also had jtagd segfaults because of missing environment variables).

– I do have parts for 4 more of these and was thinking about creating an assembly video series?

Any thoughts?

mikklejickles
    Participant

Video assembly series is a good idea. I have a full video set of an assembly but have not gotten around to editing it.

I also have a build log for my current build which has some detail by not all of what you are suggesting.

I would be happy to work on the β€œshort” guide with you if you use google docs. I think I may have created and found more shorts than anyone in the short history of OSSC diy πŸ™‚

Deleted User
    Participant

Just a little update here:

I’ve started compiling a series of documents to help through the process after now assembling three OSSCs successfully.

It will take into the new year to set up stuff, but I’ll keep you posted. πŸ˜‰

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

More documentation/help tutorials will be brilliant, thank you Dorlacher!

Deleted User
    Participant

I just finished a stream about 2.5 hours on the OSSC.

I hope it’s ok to post the link:

It contains only theory, software and hardware requirements and a bit of explanations on the process so far, as it was a first test at electronics streaming.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/362796091

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll upload it to Youtube once Twitch is ok with it and add a Web page with suplemental material to it as well.

Raph_friend
    Participant

@Dorlacher
    Your live was really awesome! Please make a guide video to how programm the sd2snes, I built one years ago but never made the bootloader programm. I can’t figure how to do.

Thank you!

Deleted User
    Participant

@Raph_friend

Actually, I just did a video stream on the SD2SNES and its’ limitations and possible next generation updates.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/367058803

You can PM me or contact me over Twitch and I can perhaps help you out on the SD2SNES (Would be off topic here). You’d just have to tell me how far you got in the process. πŸ˜‰

Raph_friend
    Participant

Thank you friend!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.