OSSC Main Menu(?) losing sync

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    beorn
    Participant

Hi. I’ve got an (additional) crt I wanted to use with the OSSC and seem to be struggling from the get go. I’m losing sync at the menu (for lack of a better word, whatever the initial OSSC screen is called prior to selecting a source).

I’ve reset the ossc, changed line settings, sync options but it seems as if these settings don’t actually apply until you change to a source that a console is plugged into.

Really confused here – unless i’m being ultra thick I cannot determine why this is happening or have I just got a crt that can’t even sync to the main ossc menu?

nmalinoski
    Participant

I believe it’s called the test pattern; the OSSC doesn’t have any kind of on-screen menu (Yet?).

How are you connecting the OSSC to your CRT, and which console(s) are you using with the OSSC?

beorn
    Participant

Test pattern – thanks 🙂

I use a passive hdmi to vga adapter. Same adapter I use with two other crt’s I have.

No console is attached at this point. CRT loses and regains sync continuously at the ossc test pattern.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

What kind of CRT is it? Did you try DVI output mode?

beorn
    Participant

It’s a Dell Uktrascan p991.

Yeah I did – no dice.

beorn
    Participant

*Ultrascan

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is no such thing as a passive HDMI to VGA adapter.

“HDMI contains no analog signal so it is not possible for any combination of passive adapters and/or cables to convert it to VGA”

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/222/can-a-simple-cable-convert-hdmi-output-to-vga

The adapter is probably your problem. Can you post details on exactly how you are connecting OSSC to the Ultrascan, including any cables, adapters, etc. between the two?

Maybe somebody has a good solution/suggestion for this scenario, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there are better solutions for outputting to monitors with VGA only input. I mean this in no way to detract from the OSSC, but it is designed to solve for interfacing with (digital) DVI/HDMI monitors.

beorn
    Participant

It’s this: https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-hdmi-to-vga-convertor

I use that for 2 other CRT’s I own and don’t experience any issues whatsoever. I may just be unlucky and this particular monitor/adapter combo don’t get on.

Oh and as for connection, it’s literally VGA cable from monitor into above adapter, which is obviously plugged directly into the OSSC.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for posting. Interesting. You’re probably right, it’s probably coming down to that particular monitor not liking the signal.

Out of curiosity, does the adapter introduce any lag?

beorn
    Participant

It’s possible, but indescernable to me. Mario seems to jump exactly when I tell him to 🙂

Anyway I’m not going to empty my wallet on every adapter out there. I was just hoping someone might have a more tangible reason.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Does the adapter have an optional power connector? If so it might be worth trying that?

beorn
    Participant

No, it doesn’t.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.