OSSC Mask and Sinden Lightgun

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Feature Requests OSSC Mask and Sinden Lightgun

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Trixster
    Participant

The chap developing the Sinden Lightgun has managed to use a raspberry pi to get his project working with real consoles. The RPi generates the overlay border which the gun uses for tracking.

Playstation 1 and 2 original console Sinden Lightgun support

Would it be possible to use the OSSC’s horizontal/vertical mask to overlay this border, therefore negating the need for an RPi and it’s composite output?

I’ve mentioned this to Andy Sinden and he’s suggested he’d be keen to collaborate.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Firstly I can’t really see any reason why this wouldn’t work, though I’m sceptical that it could work on anything other than very low input lag televisions (1 frame or less).

Even so, it’s exciting and we’ve reached out to Sinden to ask if there’s any way we can help.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Unless there’d be a timing issue having the border generated elsewhere in the chain, it could be as simple to implement as adding a toggle to the firmware to change the cropped border color between black and white. Even better if there was a user-friendly submenu with a toggle that could enable the cropping in the correct color and included a thickness adjustment that would adjust all edges simultaneously (and perhaps enforce a minimum thickness, if necessary).

That mask is probably the one problem I have with the Sinden Lightgun setup. Is that white border displayed on the screen out of convenience, or is it relying on the backlight strobing for something, or perhaps to match the TV’s brightness?

What I’m wondering is if, for those that don’t want to have any part of the screen cut off (because the processor ostensibly isn’t scaling the image, just cropping the edges), would it be possible to tune it to use something attached to the display’s bezel? EL tape might be expensive and be a bit power hungry, but it could be cut to size. Long, thin acrylic strips could be lit with just a couple white LEDs (perhaps even just two, top left and bottom right), but they’d be harder to ship and/or cut to size. Assuming it’s bright enough, a single one of these $12 EL wire kits could fit around a 65″ LCD, and could be cut to fit anything smaller.

Also, in the demonstration video on the linked article, the display was set to stretch the PS1’s 4:3 output to 16:9. Has it been demonstrated to work in the correct aspect ratio for those consoles?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.