OSSC + N64 = 0. Help?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Filidecht
    Participant

Hi y’all, first time poster here, who’s completely and utterly stuck like f**k.
    I bought a modded N64 – ’twas NTSC-J but it’s been modded professionally to play PAL games. I’ve been using it on a Sony Trinitron CRT with a RGB CSYNC for a while now and it’s been great, but now we’ve a baby on the way, it’s time to scale things down and make some room. SO, I treated myself to an OSSC which I’ve used to feed all my consoles into my studio display (Sony KDL-32v4000), and it all looks stellar. Mega Drive looks stellar (apart from those f***ing jailbars, which I’ll sort out another day), Gamecube is GORGEOUS, and the same goes for my Saturn, PS1 and PS2. Yum yum.
    However – the N64? Not happening. The OSSC is green and synced, but as far getting an image or sound goes, well, there’s nothing. As I said, it worked on the CRT, it works when directly connected to the TV, albeit with overscan/ cropping on the right, but that’s expected.
    I’ve scoured the internet and some seem to say that a Sync on Luna cable fixes a range of N64 display issues, but they’re not quite the same as this and I’m concerned there could be something I’m over-looking, or worse. Hence why I’m here.
    Help? Thanks!

paulb_nl
    Participant

Playing a different region game on a N64 console sometimes results in a very offspec refresh rate. It depends on the game.

What does the display on the OSSC report for Hz?

You can test if it is caused by your CSYNC cable by connecting the standard yellow composite RCA jack to the green input of AV2. You will see a black & white picture if it works.

Filidecht
    Participant

Hi, thanks for replying, I really appreciate the help. Tried using the composite via the green component input, and I get the same “out of range” jibberjabber on the the TV – great idea, at least now I know this isn’t a problem exclusive to the cable, but rather the N64 itself… which isn’t so great.
    The OSSC display reads: 313p 15.31kHz 48.92Hz, while the “info” display reads Prof.0 288p 313p 551693. I don’t know if any of that means anything to you, but I’ve never come across 313p. I’ve also tried several games.
    Really hope I don’t have to buy and mod a PAL N64 – My wife will kill me.

nmalinoski
    Participant

The OSSC by default reports line counts rather than visible resolutions, so the standard PAL 576i actually has 625 lines, and will be reported as 625i. Non-interlaced PAL, 288p, has either 312 or 313 lines and will be reported as 312p or 313p, which your TV may not like.

You may need to line-double to get something close to 576p, then adjust some advanced settings to get your TV to display it. (Unfortunately, someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in on what you need to be tweaking.)

Filidecht
    Participant

Ohhhhhhhh, I see now. I’ll hang back and study the wiki to see if something clicks, while I wait for someone who might have any info about how best to tweak the resolution. Thanks for your help, all the same.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Begs the question though, if you want to play PAL games, why buy a NTSC N64?

Filidecht
    Participant

Because the launch Japanese gives the best native RGB.

paulb_nl
    Participant

I think its because your TV does not accept the 48.92Hz on the HDMI input which is quite far from nominal 50Hz. Since you have an NTSC N64 it would be best to buy an Everdrive 64 and play NTSC games. PAL versions of N64 games are horrible.

But if you really want to play your PAL games then you need a PAL N64 or another display like a monitor which generally are more accepting of off-spec refresh rates.

As a last resort you could try to set the TX mode of the OSSC to DVI.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Hopefully one day we’ll get Borti’s new RGB mod finished and available for everyone.

Filidecht
    Participant

Ahhhh I think you’re right about the TV having issues dealing with the sub-50hz signal. I considered getting an everdrive, but it’s the games themselves that hold a lot of sentimental value. Still, thanks for your help all the same guys – I’m going to scratch this down to bad luck and get a modded PAL that I know works through OSSC fo’ sho’.
    All the best and take it easy!

fille1976
    Participant

For me the same problem as you,but i have us ntsc console with a packapunch pro cable sync on luma,the light on the ossc is also green,but no picture or sound.
    I have a everdrive v3,and play most of the time us games,but on my crt its working fine.

Calle W
    Participant

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just wanted to chime in on this. The reported refresh rate of 48.92Hz is due to the fact that the clock rates of these systems are left as NTSC. Performing a complete conversion with a swapped out crystal etc. would make a system like this run at the proper ~49.92Hz.

49.92 * 313 * 794,5 = 12.41Mhz (Standard PAL)

48.94 * 313 * 794,5 = 12.17Mhz (PAL game with NTSC clock)

Not too sure about the value of 794,5 for dots per line, but it’s probably close enough.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.