OSSC picture quality

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Radiomike31
    Participant

I’m currently using RGB Scart cables to connect almost all of my consoles to the OSSC to output to my Samsung HDTV. I first tried the FirebrandX profiles but wasn’t happy with the results, so I am just using generic mode for each system. It looks ok, but I’m kind of underwhelmed still. I’ve tried posting in forums for help and using the JunkerHQ wiki, but I can’t get a picture I like. Does anyone think that I might have decent results with a Retro Tink 2x Scart?
    I like what I’ve seen the smoothing filter do.
    I guess my question is does the OSSC in Generic mode still look better than a Retro Tink 2x or might I get the results I’m looking for from the Tink?
    Thank you!

Harrumph
    Participant

Which line mode are you using?
    If you cannot use more than linedoubling (2x), then image should be comparable between the two (and possibly better on the Tink due to the smoothing filter).
    However, at higher line multiplication (3-5x), OSSC should be substantially sharper.

Also remember the Tink can’t take 480p input.

Radiomike31
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I’m actually using 3x and 4x on a few consoles. When you say the image should be “sharper”, do you mean pixelated?
    I wonder if my problem is that I’m searching for a smoother look which the OSSC doesn’t provide. Am I correct in saying the OSSC is for providing a clean picture that shows the pixels and is similar to actually hooking your old console up to a CRT?

Harrumph
    Participant

I’m not sure what kind of look you are after, but if you want things to smooth out a bit, then you should use 2x-4x mode, so that your display does some final scaling. And definitely stay in generic mode.
    You should try and add scanlines and see if you like it, I use hybrid scanlines in multiplication mode, at 25-33% (so not very dark). Most people feel scanlines work best in 3x mode, I prefer 4x though.

Radiomike31
    Participant

Yeah I’m definitely after a smoother look. Thanks so much for the recommendations. I’m going to test that out tonight when I get home!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.